hps flood light wiring help.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amk

Reaction score
I just got 5 hps floodlights ordered now I gota figure out how to wire them. Cant I just get a 120 plug base from a hardware store match the colors and plug it into a surge protector like from a computer and run it to a generator for simplicity or is that not going to work?

Well they are 150 watt 120v they are ac Id run them off a genie

5 X 150 = 750watts /120 = 6.25 amps.

Wire them in parallel. You should use at least 16 gauge tinned wire run in conduit. Positive [black], common [white] and equipment ground [green]. All spices should be in NEMA weatherproof enclosures. In your final splice box / NEMA enclosure install a weather proof male receptacle.

Then you can run an exterior extension cord to your genset.

Your genset should be rated for a minimum 1000watts continuous just for the lights.

can I just unscrew the leads from the plug of an old 500 wat halogen work light then attach to an individual light so I would use one plug per light then plug them into a power surge protector for like a computer then just run an extension cord to the generator.

Be for a I got these lights we just plugged three 500 watt halogens into a computer surge protector and it worked just fine...

I just don't know if it can use that type of plug or if the wiring is different.

these have them included in the fixture

Overview

HPS Floodlight with 120-volt reactor ballast NPF. Includes 150 Watt HPS ED17 lamp.

Features

•Sturdy die-cast housing and frame, with dark-bronze polyester powder-coat finish
•1/2-Inch NPT die-casting swivel fits standard J-box
•Hydroformed, anodized aluminum reflector
•Tempered-glass lens, thermal shock and impact resistant
•120-volt Reactor ballast (NPF)•UL listed for wet location
•1-year warranty

Latest posts