Hull Painting

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishnpreacher

Reaction score
I just bought a 1980 Alumacraft, 14 footer, v hull. The interior is painted a slate gray, while the exterior hull is not painted. I have had several people tel me to paint the hull, it's too bright, will spook fish, yada,yada....
What do you say? I have everything stripped out of it right now so I can do some minor interior mods, and I could easily paint the hull.

A lot of glossy white fishing boats that catch plenty of fish. I'm sure that's brighter than 34 year old aluminum. Nice thing about bare aluminum is the paint doesn't chip off. . . . . because there is none.

You might actually be better off with a silver shiny hull - it reflects so better camouflage

I would not paint it - that is a great thing about Alum. - you do not have to paint it!

It's according to it's use. If you drag it up and over sand/gravel bars, or drag it up onto the shore pretty often then a paint job might suit you. Overtime a boat that has gone through such things year after year will wear thin. A new coat of paint every 3-5 years of heavy use will prevent such damage. If such use does not apply to you then you don't need to go through the hassle to prep and paint it.

I wouldn't worry about it. The way I understand this topic which is beating to death is think of it as if you went swimming under your boat and looked up. Most colors will look blue or black anyways. A mirror finish will look black also, I worried a little bit about this same topic and researched it alot when I first bought my new boat because it's a tan color and my old 1232 jon I got I painted in the body shop I work at. The jon was black on bottom and ford Taurus silver from the water line up with a red pin strip separating the 2. I caught alot of fish in that old boat and not so many when I first got my new boat. I bought in the freezing months of the year and fish were not very active then but I wear em out now. Good luck and if you do decide to paint it I can give you the BEST advice because I've done it and I've painted everything from old restorations to patio furniture and mail boxes. I'd be glad to help