I shot a goose, now I need a reciepe

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loggerhead Mike

Reaction score
We'll I killed my first goose the other day. looked like a biggin untill i got it all skinned.

I'm thinking of smoking it along with a couple cheap roasts unless anybody has a mouth watering reciepe they'd share [-o<

It's a little like duck but a little more gamey tasting, normally.

I've always thought about smoking one but I've never tried it. I normally do a quick debone and either grill, deep fry or make fajitas with the meat.

I normally do a quick debone and either grill, deep fry or make fajitas with the meat.

dang never thaught about makin fajitas (my favorite) with it. we're gonna cook er up newyears day, ill let yuns know how it goes. im pretty anxious to see how it tastes since ive never had goose or duck :mrgreen:

They are VERY greasy. I mean REALLY GREASY !!! When roasting in a pan you need to use a rack and drain the grease from the pan every 30 minutes. So if you plan on smoking it I'd suggest that you hang it above anything else and let it drip over that. I'd also place some sort of catch pan in the bottom of the smoker or you may have a serious mess when you're finished... if not before you're finished.

mmmmm greasy :mrgreen: lol excellent thanks for the advise. after acouple hours of beer drinking im sure i would of been in for a mess!

You said that you skinned it so you won't have to worry about it being greasy. They hold the majority of their fat right under their skin.

I hear that domestic ones are a mess but I've never had any wild geese that were greasy. Maybe the ones around here are about to starve to death from being chased by men wearing camo and toating shotguns. :lol:

Maybe the ones around here are about to starve to death from being chased by men wearing camo and toating shotguns.

lol. i keep deer corn out for them when they start stopping in our field on there way south. theres even a domestic swan flyin with um this year. they've been hangin out in the field for about a week now. i guess this warm weather we've had is screwin um up.

i skinned it just because i dont have the patients or know - how to properly pluck the feathers. ive never done it, and probably wont untill somebody shows me a proper easy way to do it. i just slice it down the back and the skin peals rite off

very cool doc. im glad to know i did most things rite, but the goose got over cooked. im still eating it, just imagine it as jerkey, and its still great tasteing. i wish we would of thrown in some bacon and garlic now :(

thanks for the great info!

I have cooked 2 and a few ducks and have done them all the same way. They turned out great.

Here's the recipe......

duck breast or goose breast
garlic salt
pepper
worcestershire sauce
onion
bell pepper
bacon
Jalapeno or mushroom if desired.
toothpicks

Slice each duck breast into 3 or 4 pieces (top to bottom).
Soak meat in worcestershire sauce while cutting up other ingredients.
cut onion, bellepper,(jalapeno and mushroom if you like) into wide slices.
Pull meat out and season with garlic salt, pepper.
lay a slice of onion and bellpepper (jalapeno,mushroom) on meat and wrap with bacon.
use toothpicks to hold together. Throw on grill and I usually cook til bacon is done

My great grandma had a secret recipe for this....you put the goose on a board, then you put it in the oven and cook it, then take it out, throw the goose away and eat the board. Just kidding, the best way that I have found is to make it into jerky or summer sausage.