Is there a standard "Tiller Length"?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankenfish

Reaction score
Hello! I had a question when planning out my seat mount for the seat I plan to steer from - the outboard is a future purchase and I want to provide enough clearance for the tiller when installing the seat, but how much should that be?

Are all tillers the same length? It would be very helpful to know the arc of the tiller's swing so that I can keep it free.
Right now, the plan is a new Merc 20hp 4 stroke, but that could change. Is there a best practice guide on how far to mount it? I have a 1976 evinrude 25hp to get an estimate, but didn't know how far motors varied from one another.

Thanks!

There is no standard length. Your best bet is to window shop at a dealer and measure it for yourself.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Nope, they all vary.

Smaller 20hp and under motors tend to be shorter, bigger ones with power trim and forward controls tend to be longer, since the bigger boats that they are suited for often have larger splash wells and such that place the operator further forward, and a longer tiller has more leverage to handle the extra feedback.

I would get the outboard mounted up first before making your seat mount.

Id slap that 76 evinrude on it and use your "future outboard" money on something else....but i agree with waiting to put a motor on your boat then the seat so you can get it excatly the way you want it....i have a hard time waiting for stuff like that though, i get anxious and excitedđź‘Ť

Thanks everyone for the extremely helpful, if not what I was hoping for, answers. I was hoping it was a clear cut length, but everyone is making a lot of sense on why that was a silly to think.
I will go ahead and leave my back seat a bench without holes in it until I get the outboard. That'll make things simpler and allow me to install it at a later point.
Thanks for the advice!