IT folks

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started a Network Security Consulting business 7 years ago and still going strong. On and off I do some traveling for my biz, as of late ive been doing some work for a business out of Boone SC. Used to do some POS hardware stuff for a couple other companies.

nerds.jpg

COBOL 74, RPG II, BBx, some Visual Basic, and a little HTML. Worked for a small programming outfit in Lexington, KY doing custom mods for the Open Systems Accounting Software (OSAS) till they went belly-up.
Worked 7 1/2 years (until 2 months ago, unemployed now) at a small ISP here locally as a fieldtech. Basically a customer premise equipment (CPE) tech, running cables, virus scans and configuring DSL modems, routers, ect.
Troubleshooting copper pairs for POTS (plain old telephone service) and ADSL. Some phone system stuff.

A jack-of-all-trades master-of-none.

I work for the Univ of MN -Duluth IT department. Started back in '81 as a mainframe operator, punchcards and 9 track tapes were state of the art then! Huge 1MB disk platters were changed out as different users ran there programs. As mainframes diminished in the early '90s I was given the choice of retraining into networking or getting laid off. So, I moved into the wiring side of networking, building out the campus network and getting data drops into individual offices. Started with thick coax which was a nightmare to troubleshoot, Appletalk star networks, Cat3 wiring, short-lived Cat4, and all the levels of Cat5 and 6. Been working more with fiber lately, simple stuff though like Unicam terminations. Also take care of all the security cameras on campus, we're in the middle of converting our outside cameras from a Firetide Mesh network over to Fluidmesh products right now. Never really worked on any types of certification, it's all been learn what I needed on the fly!

I'm an IT Manager for a 800 seat callcenter. Jack of all trades...master of none. Just recently went through a transition to VMware for our end user desktops. Been in the biz for 10 years now.

I'm a self taught MQL4 programmer. MQL4 is used to make automated trading robots for forex that keep the economy flowing by equalizing price differences between countrys currency.

Latest posts