Jeff's Jon Boat Conversion

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FishingBuds said:
Awsome start Jeff, I like the railing Idea, I think it would work fine, only thing would mess it up if it wasn't level with your current flooring, but you seem to be going good there.

Question: you plan on attaching a railing across the middle (star to port) where the bench seat was just to give a little strength back?

Some have done it and some haven't. Curious where you go with it.

Hey FishingBuds,

Yes I plan on having bracing star to port. I'll connect those with strips to the rails. What's left of the middle bench will be used to add a little extra strength. There will be supports going perpendicularly across the ribs, vertical angle aluminum from those, and then I will box that in to have different compartments. The bracing around the sides might be a little overkill, but it will add a little more stability and then I can bolt, not rivet, the deck to the railing so every 3-4 years I can take it out to replace the carpet and plywood to keep it looking good. I'll post a sketch of my plans in a couple of days. I need to try to find an aluminum scrap yard somewhere in GA. All this aluminum adds up quickly at HD or Lowes. If anyone knows a good GA supplier or yard let me know! Thanks guys.