Jig fishing

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had this preached to me and preached to me when I first started fishing a jig....

If you think you are fishing it too slow, slow down some more.

I am just learning the jig myself, but one thing I have learned quickly is to vary your retrieve until you find the trigger. SOme days it needs to be dragged painfully slow. Sometimes you need to wack it into wood. Sometimes the subtil slip into the water without a ripple is what will get the bite, while other days you need to skip it in there like a maniac. I don't know why it works maybe simulating a fleeing baitfish. But some days this will get you bit when nothing else will. Bottom line, don't get into a rut.... mix and match your retrieve until you get a bite.

*Caught this guy in 3ft of water less than 5 feet from my feet.*

Attachments

• nockbass1.jpg
    nockbass1.jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 1,137
:twisted: When "pitching" a jig let it enter the water quietly so you don't spook the shallow water bass. WOOD almost always holds fish. When the bite is slow try pitching to the same target over and over again.....they will eventually whack it!!!

Attachments

• Cedarville003-4.jpg
    Cedarville003-4.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 1,162
I just started using jigs this past summer and am still learning, but caught this one on a 1/4oz jig retrieving it at a moderate speed over some rocks in 2 fow: (Oh, had a small black trailer on the jig also). Gonna return to that spot next season and try a repeat [-o<

5lb 5oz:
normal_8-1-09_5lb_5oz_Audubon_Park_catch.jpg

:twisted: Heavy cover are ideal areas to Pitch or Flip a jig. Reeds, pads, brush, laydowns consistently hold fish.

Attachments

• cedarville_007_122.jpg
    cedarville_007_122.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 1,149
  • MaryElmerLake001-1.jpg
    MaryElmerLake001-1.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 1,149
  • GiampietroPark001-3.jpg
    GiampietroPark001-3.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 1,149
  • unionlake005-1.jpg
    unionlake005-1.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 1,149
here's one I caught last Sunday in about 35' of water on a 1/4oz jig... I basically throw it out and feed it line (fluorocarbon to keep it down) until it hits bottom.

Then I treat it like a shakey head, but keeping it in the same spot.

Caught this 3.5lb spot, missed another 2 casts later, then broke my rod on the 3rd spot which was 3lbs. I left ticked off, but knew in the back of my mind I could replace it with a Skeet Reese Jig/Worm rod which I did - and I love it!

1115091627a.jpg

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic, I think I might have better one on my camera - don't remember if I had it with me or not.

Keep them coming, I am wanting to start jigging and never done it before. I tried it last saturday and didnt get anything and lost the jig ( special one made by a friend from TN )

well... I lost that particular jig last night out fishing... so I'll have to go stock up on about 10 more Saturday morning before fishing

Another tip - use braided line something heavy like 20lb or even as heavy as 30lb - the feel of the no stretch line helps and the heavy line lets you get back those snagged jigs. I like a 20 lb floro leader as well - at least 5' but from a boat will use as much as a 10' leader

Mr. fishdevil almost always catches a bass on a jig, thats a fact!!!!!, I find myself pitching plastics more than jigs.

I must be doing some wrong. I haven't caught a thing on a jig, well except the cover I pitch it into, but I will not be detered. I found some really nice ones at the local WalMart made by strikezone lures and bought several. I WILL NOT GIVE UP. I know it will only take one fish to figure out what the bite feels like. I WILL NOT BE BEATEN!!!!!!!!

gunny146 said:
I must be doing some wrong. I haven't caught a thing on a jig, well except the cover I pitch it into, but I will not be detered. I found some really nice ones at the local WalMart made by strikezone lures and bought several. I WILL NOT GIVE UP. I know it will only take one fish to figure out what the bite feels like. I WILL NOT BE BEATEN!!!!!!!!

:twisted: You will get one!!! Never give up!!! =D>

me and Dale went out this weekend... I didn't throw anything but a jig, and landed 5-6... no good ones, but I did have one that would have been nice that spit it before I got him to the boat.

I made myself get confidence in a jig by taking 3 rods with only jigs on them... and only had jigs in the boat. So if I wanted to fish, I had to throw a jig. I did that 2 times and my confidence was built

russ010 said:
I made myself get confidence in a jig by taking 3 rods with only jigs on them... and only had jigs in the boat. So if I wanted to fish, I had to throw a jig. I did that 2 times and my confidence was built

This is the only way I've found to make myself learn baits that I'm not familiar or confident in. If that's all that's in the boat it's figure out how to use it or go home.

Here's my tip. Set the hook on everything. I don't have much jig experience, but on the times I have used it, I have noted that fish don't always feel like fish. I feel it "snag" and try to bounce it over the hangup, and it turns out the hangup was a fish. I thought the 4.5 pound smally I got back up at Dale Hollow as a rock, until my rock swam to the side.

If it's windy and cold, cast your jig out and drift, letting the boat move your bait.

In cold water, I almost exclusively use a 1/2 ounce jig. I make a long cast (using braided line, of course :lol: ) and drag the jig slowly with my rod parallel to the water. Visualize the structure your bait is hitting. Shake it when it's up against a rock, stick, log, or whatever, then if nothing, pull it over the edge and let it fall.

Latest posts