Jon boat ID and repair advice?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob E

Reaction score
I just picked up a neglected 12' x 30.5" jon boat the other day. I can't find any manufacturer markings on it anywhere. Just curious if anybody might recognize it.
There are a couple of cracks in the bottom under the transom and around the drain plug. The transom is a little bent out of shape and cracked at the top. A few of the rivets are pulling loose. And there is a puncture closer to the bow. It looks like a previous owner put jb weld on it and it's flaking off.
I'm thinking of going with closed end pop rivets, 3m 5200, and patch plates.

Hi Bob E this is just my opinion not sure if any one else would agree but I believe a stainless steel fine thread screw would be better than a pull fastener, wet installed using the 3m5200. Have the cracks welded back together and the puncture round out smooth fabricate a repair 1.5 inches greater than the hole ( for a 1" hole make a 4" repair) using .025 aluminum cold bond it using 3m5200. Like I said its just my opinion.

Well, I've been piecing together a tig setup and I bought the boat with the intention to weld it, but while searching the welding forums I frequent for aluminum boat repair the common consensus is not to weld it, and use a sealant adhesive to patch it instead...

Did you get a copy of the registration from the seller ??
I see that it has numbers on the bow which indicates it is on record somewhere.
I have a 1959 Crestliner and the registration has the
Title No. and Hull Identification Number (HIN) and YR/Make on it.

Just a thought to point you in the identification direction.

LOL everyone has their own technique of patching old boats.
I am an epoxy and bondo guy myself.

Last time it was registered was in '03. The guy I got it from said he bought it for the trailer it was on. It might take some leg work to track down the last guy who had it registered.
However I bought it with the intentions to row it. Water craft 16' or under, powered by paddle or oar that are not rented out are exempt from registration in Michigan. I don't want to mess with any motors, trailers, plates or registrations. I want something I can just toss it in the truck and haul to the lake.
I'm thinking it is a Montgomery Wards or at least it looks a whole lot like the one in this old 12 foot Montgomery Wards Sea King ebay listing... aside from not having that emblem riveted to it, or even rivet holes where it used to be...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Montgomery...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
$_57.JPG
$_572.JPG
Maybe I will try putting some more jb weld on it for now. It looks easy enough to take back off if I get brave enough to try to tiq weld it :lol:

Latest posts