Jugging made lazy

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pruitt1222

Reaction score
So I do a bit of jugging, and strugle at night to keep up with all 25 some times. So tonight I was thinking about loading them with chem sticks when I set them out. So I was digging threw the gear room to try and find my box that has hundreds in it and the wife asked me what I was doing. I told her and she went on and asked me if I thought flame-less candles would work. I told her maybe, She got a couple packs out of her craft box. These things fit perfectly in a gatorade bottle, and a fairly bright to boot. I asked her if then run down quick and she told me she hasn't replaced none of ours yet and they are on all the time. She told be she gets them a hobby lobby for like 2-3 bucks for 12 when there on sell. So if weather permiting I will be doing some testing tonight, Try and get some pictures and see how long they handle the moist night air and being tossed around inside a jug. It bound to be better then blinding yourself when you hear one flopping with a magcharger or spotlight. Anybody else use lights or tried some way to light your jugs, What were your results.

Never even heard of "jugging".

A couple of weeks ago I was watching a youtube video and the kid opened up his livewell and it was filled with empty 16ounce water bottles and he mentioned he used those for jugging?

Not sure if its even legal in MI, and unless to provide meat to the needy family, I've never considered it very sportsmanlike.

What the heck does being sportsmanlike have to do with it?

I suppose you two only eat seafood that was hand caught on rod and reel. Some guys turn their nose up at everyone not using a fly rod, too.

It's legal here and is a good way to put a mess of catfish in the freezer for the family. I catch my catfish with my bare hands instead of using a rod and reel or jugs. That must be unsportsmanlike too. :roll:

Fish on, Pruitt.

Captain Ahab said:
perchin said:
Not sure if its even legal in MI, and unless to provide meat to the needy family, I've never considered it very sportsmanlike.

Guys, jugging (for catfish) is very common and legal in the south. It's about putting food on the table. I've never done it, but can see how cruising along at night chasing down a moving jug with who knows what size fish is on the other end, could be fun. Seems like a fun night to me.

Kinda like pulling up a lobster trap, not knowing what ya got till it comes to the surface, and I wouldn't ever consider that to be unsportsman-like.

Pruitt, there are probably some bright LED lights out there that would be affordable and last a heck of a long time. Good luck, and post up some night pics when you can!

Quackrstackr said:
What the heck does being sportsmanlike have to do with it?

Can ya garuntee that you'll find all the fish that get caught on em', before they tire and die???
Not so bad I guess if the numbers are high for catfish in an area....... I'm not in one of them areas. After looking into it today, in MI it is not legal.

Quackrstackr said:
I suppose you two only eat seafood that was hand caught on rod and reel. Some guys turn their nose up at everyone not using a fly rod, too.

That's a pretty big assumption.......

Quackrstackr said:
It's legal here and is a good way to put a mess of catfish in the freezer for the family. I catch my catfish with my bare hands instead of using a rod and reel or jugs. That must be unsportsmanlike too. :roll:

Catching them with your bare hands is far more challenging, then jugging. Rolling your eyes and assuming you know how I feel about something is just silly.

Yeah, Thats the way.....

Guy posts a thread trying to possibly give someone an idea they can use, and you criticize him about what he's posting about. Especially considering you've probably never even done it before. :roll:

No one asked if you approve.

Bubba said:
Yeah, Thats the way.....

Guy posts a thread trying to possibly give someone an idea they can use, and you criticize him about what he's posting about. Especially considering you've probably never even done it before. :roll:

No one asked if you approve.

I really don't think it was that big of a deal. shoot just buy some glow in the dark spray paint and spray it into the inside of the bottle. about 30 bucks a can....would do a lot of bottles.

When jugging you still have a line you have to pull in. You just have to pull it in by hand. You have probably pulled a fish out of the water by the line while using a rod and reel before so there is not much difference.

:-

Alrighty then..............

Everyone can have an opinion here fellas. We might agree or disagree. That being said.............

I would love to try it at least once. :D

perchin said:
Can ya garuntee that you'll find all the fish that get caught on em', before they tire and die???
Not so bad I guess if the numbers are high for catfish in an area....... I'm not in one of them areas. After looking into it today, in MI it is not legal.

Catfish can live a long, long time on a jug. More than long enough for the hook hole to open large enough that they pull off.

His idea of placing lights inside his jugs is raising the probability that he will collect all fish and jugs as soon as they are hooked.

Wow, Got a few remarks on this one. :LOL2: First off I jug so much because often my two year old is with me and I am sure many of you have been in the same shoes. Unsportsman like, No more so then 20 crappie polls, bowfishing, or a sain. I mean I could be fishing with yoyo's and limb lines. Quackrsackr, You are just the man. Couldn't talk me into doing that, Might help once or twice but not sure about sticking my hand in there. Perchin, Cant always garuntee I get them instantly. A 40 pound cat will keep one of those jugs down for a bit, Ain't worried about cats dieing. They are very hardy fish, Paddle fish on the other hand have to stay swimming or will die. And are you really worried about a spotted or longnose gar? As for you Jim, we arn't to far apart. Maybe on night we can get together and throw out some jugs and bass fish while we are waiting.

Jug on Pruitt!! Thats a helluva idea. I do some juggin in the summer with my cousins, but its usually not just about the juggin, but more so about the cooler of icy cold ones. Either way, its a heck of a way to spend a summer night, especially in this heat. Catfish taste good!!

Jim said:
Never even heard of "jugging".

A couple of weeks ago I was watching a youtube video and the kid opened up his livewell and it was filled with empty 16ounce water bottles and he mentioned he used those for jugging?

Ole heather here has made juggin popular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zuun_K5_vt8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqCqCRILv0A

Pruitt1222 said:
So I do a bit of jugging, and strugle at night to keep up with all 25 some times. So tonight I was thinking about loading them with chem sticks when I set them out. So I was digging threw the gear room to try and find my box that has hundreds in it and the wife asked me what I was doing. I told her and she went on and asked me if I thought flame-less candles would work. I told her maybe, She got a couple packs out of her craft box. These things fit perfectly in a gatorade bottle, and a fairly bright to boot. I asked her if then run down quick and she told me she hasn't replaced none of ours yet and they are on all the time. She told be she gets them a hobby lobby for like 2-3 bucks for 12 when there on sell. So if weather permiting I will be doing some testing tonight, Try and get some pictures and see how long they handle the moist night air and being tossed around inside a jug. It bound to be better then blinding yourself when you hear one flopping with a magcharger or spotlight. Anybody else use lights or tried some way to light your jugs, What were your results.

Try reflective tape. With a small LED flashlight you could see the jug a mile away, wrap it all the way around the jug. I have some old reflective Vinyl I could send you for free already cut into strips if yoru interested. Heck I have enough for everyone on the board. It is out of date for sign making but will work great for everything else.

Never thought about reflective tape. Like the stuff you put on the side of a trailer? I don't know how well it would stick to the side of a gatorade bottle though, Would probably work better on a smooth 2-liter bottle though. Might have to give that a try, Thanks for the offer. I have a few stirps of the stuff from where I put it oon the side of my flatbed, If it works good I might have to take you up on it though. The lights work real well, I like to keep my jugs within 100 foot of the boat where I can see every thing at just a glance. I think if I put a strip across the bottom when the fish bounces the jug maybe I would see a flash from my anchor light.

I've used the DOT reflective tape on jugs before, it makes spotting them at night a lot easier. As far as the glow sticks, I've used them as well but that gets expensive. I even tried those bracelets that glow when you break then, they work pretty good but the place here that sold them isn't here anymore. Jug lines are a sure fire way to catch a mess of cat fish. I like the idea of flame less candles. Might give that one a try. (the glow in the dark paint is a waste of money.)

perchin said:

Can you guarantee the fish you catch won't swallow the hook and die after you release it? 8)

Geez, guess you shouldn't have brought this subject up around these guys. I see nothing wrong with it. I am not about killing fish, but I do know that thinning the crowd is not a bad thing, if that happens as a result of the jugging.

Latest posts