Kill switch or not to kill switch

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A kill switch isn't for the days you can use common sense it is for the things you can know about the better safe than sorry stuff.
its like a seat belt or car insurance you hope you never need it but if you do your glad you had it..

There must be some sort of switch on mine that can sense extreme attitude change. Stops the motor dead when near vertical.

Don't ask me how I know that.... :shock:

Alright I bought a kill switch, but when I got it home it is not what I thought. It has four connectors two are normally open and two are normally closed. I know the normally closed will not do anything for me. Right now I am grounding out the coils to shut the motor down. I cannot do that with only two connections. Do I just short the two coils together without grounding it. The outboard I have is a '76 Johnson 25. I want to make sure I will not fry anything before I do this.

What is tthe mechanism you us to ground the coils? Is the kill switch a push button or lynard type? If push button type, us the normally closed connectors, when you push it opens circut. Put the switch in between the coils and what ever you are using to groundd them now.

My tiller came with a push button kill switch. I have thought about changing it to a lanyard type, but never got around to it. Guess Ive never put myself into a place where I was scared enough to really think I needed it. I know it only takes one time to be the last time. I do wear a pfd while under way, I make my daughter wear one all the time we are moving. I take mine off while fishing, she can take hers off if we are floating or anchored in swimming conditions.

sccamper said:
What is tthe mechanism you us to ground the coils? Is the kill switch a push button or lynard type? If push button type, us the normally closed connectors, when you push it opens circut. Put the switch in between the coils and what ever you are using to groundd them now.

My motor did not have any type of kill switch. I want to add a lanyard type, but it only has two connections no and nc. I heed to shut down two coils. I read somewhere that you can short the coils together and that will kill the motor. I also think the push button kill switch that comes on the older johnsons is just a normally open switch that when pressed shorts the coils together but I want to make sure before I set this lanyard switch up.

Fowlmood, you a Duck hunter? If so, I've got 40 acres, just across the Saluda River, @ HWY.183, in Pickens Co. There's a couple of Beaver ponds, and swamp, that are a haven for Wood Ducks, in the fall, and occasionally a Mallard or two. Also trophy Deer, Turkey, sometimes, a Black Bear. Let me know if you might be interested, and don't wait 'till the night before opening day, like all the rest , that I turn away. Scott

rome8899 said:
Fowlmood, you a Duck hunter? If so, I've got 40 acres, just across the Saluda River, @ HWY.183, in Pickens Co. There's a couple of Beaver ponds, and swamp, that are a haven for Wood Ducks, in the fall, and occasionally a Mallard or two. Also trophy Deer, Turkey, sometimes, a Black Bear. Let me know if you might be interested, and don't wait 'till the night before opening day, like all the rest , that I turn away. Scott

PM Sent

Latest posts