Lake champlain, Burlington vt

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedude

Reaction score
Will be in Vermont for a wedding. Will pack my telescopic rod and reel. Any public parks I can cast a line? Any tips on what or how to fish? I probably won't have time to book a guided trip and get away for that length of time.

Will plan to call some of the local bait shops. I know there are some fly fishing places that are a little bit of a drive.

Thanks!

Champlain has a lot of species but if you are shore fishing I would probably be looking to hook smallmouth or pike in shallow, marshy areas. It has some world class perch fishing too. if you like panfish.

Where exactly in Vermont will you be? Champlain is about 90 miles long. I go there occasionally launching out of Charlotte most of the time.

I'm gonna try to reach out to my friend Greg who lives in Malletts Bay, just north of Burlington. I do know I see people shore fishing the bridge that goes to South Hero Island, there is a State Park there. You also have the Winooski River which I know gets stocked with bows, browns and brook trout.

Does anyone else have experience with bring lures in your carryon bags? I'll check the airline site. Would hate to have them confiscated! Wasn't planning on checking bags.

Thanks for the gesture!
jethro said:
I'm gonna try to reach out to my friend Greg who lives in Malletts Bay, just north of Burlington. I do know I see people shore fishing the bridge that goes to South Hero Island, there is a State Park there. You also have the Winooski River which I know gets stocked with bows, browns and brook trout.

I had a great trip up there about a month ago, but it was a lot of moving around on the boat to find the areas holding active fish which seemed to be concentrated when we found them. I suppose it's a bit of a crap shoot fishing from shore anywhere.

thedude said:
Does anyone else have experience with bring lures in your carryon bags? I'll check the airline site. Would hate to have them confiscated! Wasn't planning on checking bags.

This is from the TSA site:

"Sharp fishing tackle that may be considered dangerous, such as large fish hooks, should be sheathed, securely wrapped, and packed in your checked luggage. Like other high-value objects, you may wish to pack expensive reels or fragile tackle that does not pose a security threat (small flies) in your carry-on baggage."

Sounds like they are OK only with small flies. The problem is they are not consistent. You get a TSA agent in a bad mood and your day is ruined. Suggest you take a copy of their rule with you just in case.

As a CPA I've found when dealing with brainless bureaucrats it's best not to point out their ignorance to them...

In that light you'll be better off putting everything in your checked baggage IMO.

Fellow cpa! Great to know. I've packed my rod with 20 lb braided line in case I land a solid pike. I ended up just tying a small slab on it. I'll plan to spend a few bucks on new lures at the local bait shop as a good gesture in exchange for some tips/advice. I'll leave my 3 inch circle hooks and filet knife at home...

Fly out tmw! Looking forward to 20 degrees cooler than Dallas!

Latest posts