Late 70's 14' mirrorcraft mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johny25

Reaction score
Ok my neighbor has been after me for a few months now to put a floor and casting decks in his boat so about 10 days ago I decided to get on with the project. I can't remember the the exact year of his boat but I think it was late 70's. I didn't take as many pics as I would have liked because I was in a hurry to finish and was really strapped for time on this project :(

This is what I started with.... (I blurred out his registration numbers for privacy reasons)
DSCN6828.JPG
DSCN6826.JPG

I removed the middle bench and framed it in with 2X4 stringers, then laid down 5/8" exterior plywood. Weight was no concern to him so I went heavy for less complications with framing. Basically he wanted a bass boat design. This boat did not have a level seat nor one that was square to the boat which made things that much more difficult to make look good .
DSCN6831.JPG
DSCN6829.JPG

I forgot to take pics of the hatches and framework before I started carpeting #-o But you can see in the pics, the white duct tape is so I can lift the hatches temporarily until I get handle straps on. One on the fron casting deck and 2 large ones in the middle deck.
DSCN6842.JPG
DSCN6846.JPG
DSCN6844.JPG
DSCN6849.JPG

As the project has evolved more and more ideas have been thrown my way :lol: go figure huh. There is going to be a livewell implemented down the road at some point in the large front hatch but I have run out of time for this project until fall I believe. It is ready to catch fish though :)

I forgot to mention it is all removable and can be completely pulled out in about 3 minutes so you can spray it out and put back in just the same. That was an obstacle during design and construction, not being able to make the middle floor in one piece. That is 2 pieces in the middle floor with a seem that is hard to see.

Oh and I did not pick out the color carpet :lol: . Neighbor is an avid golfer and thought that would look nice. Not my cup of tea but to each there own. He says if the fish aren't biting he can do some putting maybe..... :D

Johny25 said:
I forgot to mention it is all removable and can be completely pulled out in about 3 minutes so you can spray it out and put back in just the same. That was an obstacle during design and construction, not being able to make the middle floor in one piece. That is 2 pieces in the middle floor with a seem that is hard to see.

Oh and I did not pick out the color carpet :lol: . Neighbor is an avid golfer and thought that would look nice. Not my cup of tea but to each there own. He says if the fish aren't biting he can do some putting maybe..... :D

I'm going to be doing similar with removable decks, you never know when you might wanna go crawdad gigging and it's better to just remove it all except the back seat and just toss them into the boat

nicely done. thanks for posting.

i'm also gonna add a removable deck to by boat, how do you keep everything tightly in place? is it bolted down?

what glue did you use for carpeting the plywood? was it coted first with spar before gule? i'm trying to find a way to hit two birds with one stone - stick the carpet and seal the plywood in one go. not sure if it's possible...

J.P. said:
nicely done. thanks for posting.

i'm also gonna add a removable deck to by boat, how do you keep everything tightly in place? is it bolted down?

what glue did you use for carpeting the plywood? was it coted first with spar before gule? i'm trying to find a way to hit two birds with one stone - stick the carpet and seal the plywood in one go. not sure if it's possible...

its going to be hard to seal you plywood and carpet in the same sitting without a huge mess. well that is if you plan on sealing the top and bottom of the wood

I would just put roll on bed liner on the whole thing, cheap, tough, and waterproof . Just use gray because black is gonna be a microwave oven!

I used ledger blocks to straddle the seats in the front and back so they cannot move forward or backward. Also the middle section is fit so tight that it pulls down on the front and back deck. The tolerances of the two middle pieces are so tight that you have to lift them up about 8-10" where they meet at the seem, match them up and press down firmly. Basically locking everything together. I am going to be putting a fastener into the seats next time I get a chance. Like a lag screw with threads on the other end for a wingnut or something. I am still working on my plan for this. But I will say that you cannot get the front or back deck off without removing at least one piece of the middle section, and the middle section won't come out on its own.

He only fishes with an electric motor on smaller lakes. And he has the idea of using lawnchairs as seat that stow away under the deck. We all have different ways of fishing I guess.......

As for the glue I used Henry's (can't remember off hand which number). But I will get back with exactly the Henry's I used if ya like. I gave him the option to spar or treat the plywood underneath and he was not concerned about it. As for the top where the glue is, I trawled it out with glue so it is sealed well.

Nice job. I've got the exact same boat. Picked it up last Saturday. My plan is to take out all seats and go with an aluminum mesh floor, rod box on one side with an aerated livewell on the other. Will probably put a casting deck up front. First order of business is the trailer, needs stripped down and sandblasted and painted with new bunks, lights, wiring and tires. Wil probably need new bearings also! Will try to post some pics later.

joseph101088 said:
its going to be hard to seal you plywood and carpet in the same sitting without a huge mess. well that is if you plan on sealing the top and bottom of the wood
i was thinking one side at a time. coat back first, after it's dry coat other side and stick the carpet on.

johnny,
thanks. i'll probably use varnish on the back and glue on carpet side.
i may not have the same skills to get perfect tolerance, so i'll find another way. afraid to see my deck float off in case of a capsize......chances of that are low on a powerboat, i guess it's an instinctive mentality from my sailboat days....

Riverman62 said:
Nice job. I've got the exact same boat. Picked it up last Saturday. My plan is to take out all seats and go with an aluminum mesh floor, rod box on one side with an aerated livewell on the other. Will probably put a casting deck up front. First order of business is the trailer, needs stripped down and sandblasted and painted with new bunks, lights, wiring and tires. Wil probably need new bearings also! Will try to post some pics later.

The mirrocraft crew is growing!