Lone Star 1956 Restore

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started mine with a brillo pad. The brillo pad did clean it, but was leaving what looked like scratches. I used steel wool. I even got the spot from the Brillo pad so it didn't look to bad.

camoje86 said:
I started mine with a brillo pad. The brillo pad did clean it, but was leaving what looked like scratches. I used steel wool. I even got the spot from the Brillo pad so it didn't look to bad.

Thanks for the info. :)

What a beautiful morning! The sun is shining, the sky is blue, the birds are singing, and all God's creatures say, "THANK YOU, LORD, THANK YOU!" [-o< [-o< [-o<
Can I get an AMEN :?: :!:

Our son-in-law is going to help me with getting the transom back in, later on today. :D We'll see what happens. Enjoy your Sunday, and be thankful in it! [-o<
M

Brillo pads left miniscule scratches, yes. I was scouring years of exposure, with some neglect tossed in.

Finer finishes like yours should probably have steel wool. AND, using the polish and buffer should give you an even finish; mine looked much cleaner than it had been, but you could tell some old guy went after it by hand. :)

As I said,
Going over the hull as meticulously as I did, I found a lot of small scratches and shallow gouges from the 58 years of life this Model A has gone through. I'm not going to try and make it new again, nor am I aiming at a flashy appearance. I just want it to be "nice."

Also, I didn't coat the hull, so it just went back to oxidizing. After a Winter's storage, I finished the rehab and sold it. The bright, reflective, shine disappeared over the Winter in the shed.

spring new camera test shots for loading 010.jpg

Your craft is going to be so much more attractive. You do good work, kiddo.

=D>

Well, I did a little buffing yesterday, then, our son-in-law came by. Needless to say, all it took was a small nudge to get us to go to the Sabine River. :D So, no, transom is not in yet. Soon!
(pics of the river out of it's banks posted on the barge thread)
Barge/Cabin Build on the Sabine River, East Texas

Kis,
Thanks for the pics, and the advice. Hubby says you are right about the brillo pads taking off years of oxidation. I've got the oxidation off, just need to clean it back up from it setting over the winter. Wet sanded it with 600. It's hard to keep it shiny, but I'm trying.

M

Hello Sunshine in Texas! [-o<

Polished and buffed all of one side yesterday morning. Then, our 10 year old granddaughter came, so, I had to play and swim with her. :D (all day long......a bit sun burnt.....oooops! :shock: )

Got the transom dry fitted in the boat today, but I had to take it back out. Apparently, I didn't have my reading glasses on when I took the measurements. I had to cut 2" off the bottom side. Oh well, better to long than too short. Now, you all know how I just hate to use a circular saw, so, I got it marked and ready to cut. Our neighbor stopped by this afternoon (who is a cabinet builder) and obliged me with cutting it. 8) One straight saw cut for 2 ice cold Bud Lights = Good Trade! :LOL2:

I have already got one coat of urethane on that edge, and will do 3 more. It is the bottom side that rests in the z-bar, so I want it well protected. I'll do that tomorrow. I will also do more polishing and buffing.

My Neighbors Quote, "Don't do it all today...you won't have anything to do tomorrow"! :LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2:

More pics coming.....

M

I just looked over this project again. It's been a while since I caught up with the progress. I really love this boat. I like the color combo the way it is now with the very vintage green bottom and shiny everywhere else. I probably shouldn't have looked, it makes me want to reconsider whether to sell mine. I've got it listed on C'sL with only one inquiry. I wish I had a barn...wait a minute, no I don't!

bobberboy said:
I just looked over this project again. It's been a while since I caught up with the progress. I really love this boat. I like the color combo the way it is now with the very vintage green bottom and shiny everywhere else. I probably shouldn't have looked, it makes me want to reconsider whether to sell mine. I've got it listed on C'sL with only one inquiry. I wish I had a barn...wait a minute, no I don't!

:LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2:
AND.....I wish we were closer so I could buy yours.....wait a minute, no I don't! I'd have d-i-v-o-r-c-e papers served on me. :LOL2:

Thank you for the vote of confidence on the colors. Kismet has kindly directed me on the polishing, so I've been at it....."wax on - wax off". WOW! :shock: Brother, that's a job! :!:

More urethane on the bottom side of the transom this morning, then it went to 94*. Had chores to do getting ready for the weekend and our other 2 grand kids coming. :D I'm trying so very hard to get her in the water. Perhaps with a little help and a few kind words. :mrgreen:

M

I have run into a snag on the transom. Hubby helped me get it in Saturday morning, but, I've got problems.

It is 1 1/2" thick, and it should only be 1 3/8". Wouldn't think that would make such a big deal, but it does. Hubby ground off enough at the top to get it in. Had to put a porta-power on it to get it pushed all the way up and clamped it for me. When I fit the z-bar and corner pieces, they won't go. It's off just enough on the thickness to make it impossible to rivet in back in. :x

I'm going to mark it today, take it back out, and grind off what has to be, then urethane again over those places. That is, if I can get it back out. :shock: I might have to just bite the bullet and crawl up inside and grind it off. Shoot-fire and spit bullets! :?

Oh well, it is what it is and must be done. :wink:
M
6.6.2015 Transom1.jpg6.6.2015 Transom3.jpg6.6.2015 Transom2.jpg

UPDATE: I got it back out. =D> A friend is going to plane it for me tomorrow after work. :D I'll have him plane it on the back side, and re-urethane.

nice vise grips.

I had to sit on the floor and press my feet against mine all night long. KILLED my lower back.

ok, maybe not. :mrgreen:

Kismet said:
nice vise grips.

I had to sit on the floor and press my feet against mine all night long. KILLED my lower back.

ok, maybe not. :mrgreen:

:LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2:
Hubby has a whole drawer dedicated to clamps. Goes with the territory of being a major wreck (semi trucks/motor homes/ER vehicles) body man for so many years. He may not help me much on the restore, but he sure lets me use some nice tools! :mrgreen:
I am grateful! :wink:

Played with grand kids all week but did manage to get a little work done.

Our friend (the cabinet builder) planed the transom for me. I urethaned it again. Fits perfect. I need an extra set of hands to clamp it back in place.....perhaps today.

Dashes are ready to go in. I had to fit and shave, and fit and shave on the top side to allow for the curvature of the boat. Got 'em done. Need an extra set of hands to put those in too. My grand kids are not strong enough to hold in place long enough for me to drill the holes and bolt. That's ok, they tried to help Nana! :mrgreen:

Attachments

• IMG_20150609_185945.jpg
    IMG_20150609_185945.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 920
Button down the hatches...Here it comes again! Raining off and on all day. Storm coming ashore at Galveston (4 hours south). Looks like we are in for 3 days of more flooding rains. :popcorn:

CMOS & Huntinfool.......tie your hat down and move to high ground! :shock: Y'all are going to see it 12 to 24 hours ahead of us. 3" to 7" is A LOT of rain fellas :!:

I did manage to get one of the seats stained today. Perhaps I can do more in the house, just like I did the transom and dashes. :wink:

Steve AW.......that's a half a step forward! :LOL2:

I sense urethane fumes in my kitchen again. 8-[

M

nlester said:
Good luck.

We really wanted to be on Lake Tawakoni this Wednesday.

I hear ya! News says "Bill" came ashore at Matagorda this morning. Looks like it's headed more y'alls way than ours. Nevertheless, we are all in for rain, rain, rain the next 2 days.

As far as working on Miss Fifty-six for a day or two, looks like I'm stuck. Bent over trimming a rose bush early this morning and couldn't raise up. Lower back muscle spasms. Dad-nab-it! :x Oh well, better me than the hubby.

Thanks for posting! :D

M

Michelle
Better get out the water wings!
We've had a lot of rain the last couple weeks, Nothing like You folks,
Haven't been able to mow the lawn. The only day without rain there
was water standing in the lawn. :cry:

" I sense urethane fumes in my kitchen again. 8-[ "

I bet a batch of cookies would mask the smell =D>

Take care of the back, it'll be boat time soon!

Steve A W

Cookies......... :LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2:
Are you kidding?!!? I won't even cook anything with those fumes. And, we are all electric. Scared I might blow us up. :shock:

I think the worst is past us now. Only a few bands lingering behind. Perhaps this ole' back will be better tomorrow so I can get a little work done. I'm not one to "lay up" for long. [-X Too much to do and I get bored too easy. I've got seats to stain and urethane! :lol:

(and...bolt the transom in, and bolt the dashes in, and polish the other side, and.......) :-({|=

Latest posts