Lone Star 1956 Restore

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take a picture of the shiny side, angle up so we can't tell the dash and stuff isn't in, and fercryin'outloud, don't aggravate that lower back...you know better!

:roll:

Kismet said:
Take a picture of the shiny side, angle up so we can't tell the dash and stuff isn't in, and fercryin'outloud, don't aggravate that lower back...you know better!

:roll:
:LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2:
It's way, way better today! Still a bit sore, but thank you Lord, THANK YOU! [-o<

A few sprinkles here and there, but I just might try buffing a bit today. I'll take a pic for you, shiny side. :D

Here ya go Kis! Shiny side at an angle.

Did a bit of staining yesterday on the seats. Climbed in and out several times doing some measuring and lifted the tongue up to reset it on blocks. I'm paying the price today with a sore back again. :x Oh well...... I got my measurements, and, I got the tongue right where I want it. :D

Have not buffed on it anymore. Sprinkles off and on. But, I will! :)

6.19.2015 LS1.jpg6.19.2015 LS2.jpg6.19.2015 LS3.jpg

That is wonderful work!

You are to be congratulated for your perseverance and skill. Get it protected soon, though. Oxidation is a relentless process.

I'd guess, from your various posts, you are accustomed to being given accolades, but certainly in this instance, you should be willing to accept high praise and admiration on your restoration--from the start you have shown an application of will power and determination that would be admirable in any field of endeavor.

VERY nicely done, M.

Hope the river boat is surviving this onslaught.

I say with great respect, wacherass in this weather.

=D> =D> =D>

WOW! Kis, you caught me off guard. Thank you for your kind words of wisdom and understanding the compassionate love I have for this Ole Gal. Thank you! :D

Yes Sir, I am driven. Growing up on a section of farm land, I was in the cotton field by the time I was 5 years old. We worked, and I mean WORKED. Daddy use to tell us, make one more round and then you can quit, for today. I have applied that ethic to almost every aspect of my life. Just about the time I think I am about to fall out, or just give up, I make one more round. :)

I made up my mind early this morning that I would finish polishing and buffing her today. I am hot, sweaty, tired and dirty, but she's polished and buffed. I suppose I could have just jumped in the lake, but a nice cool shower is sounding pretty good. I will take pics for you.

I also re-installed some of her hardware, with new stainless bolts and lock nuts. The original ones are brass and I know they will tarnish again over time.

An added note:
I was blessed to have had the opportunity to thank my Daddy, and Mother, for teaching me how to work, before they passed away. [-o< Hard work never hurt us, it produced strong character with morals and integrity. :mrgreen:

Thank you again Kismet! You are truly an inspiration! =D>
Michelle

I know I need to get down low and finish sanding the rub rail on the bottom side. If I were really doing it right, I would turn it upside down and rough sand the bottom, shoot it with etching primer and then that seaside color. AND, do all of that before I install the wood on the inside. However......

I'm just ready to play with her for awhile. Our close friend that is the painter was here yesterday afternoon. He made a statement to me, "Girl, it's summer time! Polisher her so she is protected; etching primer on the inside; install the wood, the steering & controls and the motor. GO PLAY!"

Sounds good to me! :wink:

whoa she's a beaut!
Work ethic from previous post shows.
A toast to ya on your efforts on the restoration of your boat.:
(I did not get vid to post but here's a link below.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc823UD0LeU

WaterWaif said:
whoa she's a beaut!
Work ethic from previous post shows.
A toast to ya on your efforts on the restoration of your boat.:
(I did not get vid to post but here's a link below.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc823UD0LeU

Thank you so much! You are truly appreciated. :D It means a lot to hear someone else say "she's a beaut"! I think she is a diamond in the rough. She's an old gal, with a few scratches and dings but she's got a lot of character and has weathered the storms for many, many years. All the hard work....She's worth it to me. :p

Your link.......reminds me of Home. :wink: Thanks for posting. =D>
Been gone from Amarillo for 28 years. Seems like a life time ago. 482 miles ago, but, we never looked back! Love East Texas and the trees and the water, and very little wind. 8) However, I still go that one more round. :wink:

Michelle
Miss 56 is looking GOOD.
You've come a long way with her.
But I have to agree with your painting buddy,
It's time to get it wet and have some fun :beer:
Keep up the good work.

Steve A W

Thanks Steve AW! :D

Life gets busy at times, but I did manage to install some more of her hardware today. I've got the old horn all apart, trying to figure out how to get it completely apart. It doesn't work, and I want to know why. :?:

It's an old Spartan, round, squatty horn. Anybody know anything about them? I'll take a few pics and post.

If nothing else, I will just install it back on and buy a newer one that mounts under the dash, out of sight. She's just got to have her original horn back on her bow, though! It's part of her jewelry. :wink:

With the Good Lord willing, and the creek don't rise, I am going to get the inside in etching primer in the next day or two. [-o<

Pics of the horn, disassembled.

I know the two screws coming up must be a negative and a positive. I just can't figure out how to separate the "guts" from the casing. Hubby tried to unscrew the horn, to no avail. Perhaps it does not come off. I did spray it all with PB Blaster.

I read somewhere that some of these horns were 12v and others were a different volt. I'll look that back up. I tried to wire direct using the lawn mower battery, and swapping the leads, as I have no idea which is pos and which is neg. Nothing happened. Nata...zitch.

Common sense tells me it's got rusted parts on the inside. If I could just get it off and see what I can clean up; break loose from the rust.

Any and all comments welcome!
IMG_20150624_191650.jpgIMG_20150624_191823.jpgIMG_20150624_191853.jpgIMG_20150624_191701.jpgIMG_20150624_191742.jpg

If you can't get to the guts you might want to try submerging the whole darn thing in something like Marvel Mystery Oil, or Automatic Transmission fluid.

CMOS

CMOS said:
If you can't get to the guts you might want to try submerging the whole darn thing in something like Marvel Mystery Oil, or Automatic Transmission fluid.

CMOS

I've got both. I'll try the Marvel and see what happens. Man, that thing is "welded" on with rust. Thanks for the suggestion. I truly appreciate you! :D

Made a trip to the auto parts store this morning. Bought more etching primer. By the time I picked up our grand daughter from VBS, it was already hot. Think I'll jump on that bright and early in the morning. :mrgreen:

Friday, 6.26.2015:
6:45am - Washed & scrubbed inside of boat, rinsed really well and let dry.
Wiped down with Mineral Spirits, a section at a time, and let dry. Started in the front up under the bow with etching primer, a section at a time.

Mercy Me! Had a mask on, readers and a doo rag. I don't mind telling ya, I had to come up out of there a few times. :shock: I'm too old to be huffing paint, and, don't want to. [-X I need and want what brain cells I do have left. :lol: I bought 5 cans of primer, and used all 5, yesterday. I've got to go back and buy at least 3 more.

Took me awhile to get it where it is now, but all I lack now is the back mid section. I will go back and primer in between the seat cavities (maybe.....it will be closed off so what the heck?). I do have the floatation that goes in those cavities, well, the two back ones. The cockpit in the front is missing the front piece of aluminum for the seat, and the floatation. No prob. I think I've figured out a way to replace that piece and frame it for a seat. Any ideas are welcome! (Please keep in mind I am not broke out with money. 8-[ Otherwise, I'd just have one custom made.)

I don't mind telling you fellas I was a whooped puppy by 8pm last night. Hit the lake, then the shower, and then the bed. Whooped! :oops:

An Added Note: The light spots are from the sun shining in through the holes on the bow for the horn and light. I did not miss any places. :LOL2:

Family day today and tomorrow, and friends are here. I'll start up gain Monday morning. Hoping everyone has a wonderful weekend! :D
6.26.2015 LS primera.jpg6.26.2015 LS primerb.jpg

Latest posts