Looking at a 14' Skiff w/ 25HP Yammy -?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CMOS

Reaction score
Howdy All,

I found a guy that has a 14' Carolina Skiff with an electric start 25HP Yamaha 4-stroke (tiller handle). He's asking a reasonable price.

Thoughts on a tiller on a Skiff?

CMOS

I only got away from a tiller because of my bad shoulders. In my younger days the tiller was awesome. As I got older with arthritis and bad rotator cuffs, I found a steering wheel was much easier. Make sure the glass bull structure is in good shape ( no wood rot inside the glass hull)..

I have read that Skiffs are rough and "wet", which is understood.

Would any of you that have owned a Skiff steer me away from this type of hull?

CMOS

Find out what it weighed new and out what it weighs now. Wet foam is almost impossible to remove from most skiff type boats.

Do you mind nd getting some spray in your face or spray in your boat. Skiff doesn't ride much different than any other boat with a similar type hull. Skiff is a term that many folks use and can mean different things to different folks. In my area, a skiff is an open boat with tiller steering used for utility purposes. When a steering wheel is added, the name is changed.

I have read that Skiffs are rough and "wet", which is understood.

Would any of you that have owned a Skiff steer me away from this type of hull?

CMOS
They are rough and wet, boat is solid though. You have to decide if it will work for you. The best bargain will be a poor choice if the boat kills you.

From what I recalled, a skiff has a flat bottom.

A flat bottom would kill it for me for everything but small lakes and ponds.

Looked it up:

Skiff
Boats powered by sails or by oars can be referred to as skiffs. One usage of the word refers to a typically small flat-bottomed open boat with a pointed bow and a flat stern originally developed as an inexpensive and easy-to-build boat for use by inshore fishermen.

Looked it up:

Skiff
Boats powered by sails or by oars can be referred to as skiffs. One usage of the word refers to a typically small flat-bottomed open boat with a pointed bow and a flat stern originally developed as an inexpensive and easy-to-build boat for use by inshore fishermen.

Correct. I decided that this small of a Skiff is not what I want for a Bay Boat. Texas Bays are big and therefore can get choppy, even rough. I'd really like a big Jon, like an 1860 type hull.

CMOS

Looked it up:

Skiff
If you watch the "Port Protection" tv show, all there V bottom boats are referred to as skiffs....if it is on TV it must be true !!!...lol..

I have a 14' Alweld aluminum jonboat with a 25hp Mercury tiller steer. On a large Texas lake in a 15 to 20 mph wind it is not a wet ride, but it rides rougher than a cob in the bow. Aft, not so bad. My fishing is generally done in the necks, coves, and standing timber where the wind is not so much a factor. All in all, I love it.

Latest posts