TriHull vs Deep V hulls

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm pretty wary of trade deals. I guess in the rare case you might run into a deal where both parties are looking for a better fit, but all I've ever ran into is one guy trying to pull a fast one on the other.

I don't think you'll be gaining much in that trade for the tri-hull. They definitely didn't stop producing that design for decades because it was exceptionally good. They were one of the first to have a wide, open bow which was nice, and they were stable. But, depending on the specific hull, some of them rode really rough and made for a wet ride in quartering seas.

I'd probably opt to sell your rig and buy a true open floor Deep-V, or change up the seating options in your boat.
I've been trying to sell it for the better part of the year, and all I get is people telling me they would buy it off of me for 1.5K CAD or silly things like that, when there's not a single bass boat under my pricepoint of 6K CAD listed on Marketplace (the closest I could find with the most minimalistic amount of accessories was 8.5K CAD)

Do you have any ideas on what made them rough riding, wet riding or smooth riding? Yes, I assume it's the 2 "pontoons"-like shape, because the middle is a V hull... but I'm curious and I'd like to know more in case I ever go for it (or any other more interesting tri-hulls)

I don't like trades either, because as you said, there's always someone trying to rip off the other.
That's why I came on here and asked about tri-hulls. I know flat bottomed boats, I know V hulls, I don't know pontoons or tri-hulls.

To be honest, I didn't know there were 2 deadrise angles.
That's because there aren't 2 ... but 3 of them!

Soft V - 12 degree deadrise or less, pound, pound, pound in any choppy sea state! But takes the least HP for good performance, very stable at rest

Mod V - 14 degree deadrise to 18 degrees or so, good compromise for performance vs ride vs power, stable at rest

Deep V - Typically begins @ 20 degrees, softest ride, but needs the most horsepower, tippy at rest, will roll in any chop if not moving

Some Pontoon boats have 3 running sponsons, usually with a larger middle one.

All I can tell you is that the modern 'multi-hull' catamerans boats' (think Glacier Bay) will have a smoother running attitude than any other hull design out there! There are some drawbacks, e.g., top end speed, need for twin OBs, but the biggest ... the expen$e.

Read up online in a search for 'catameran vs v hull' and you'll be reading for days!

Last edited:

Latest posts