Looking for a economical handgun

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TAURUS JUDGE!! not too expensive, it's a fairly short revolver or they have the full size. shoots .45 long colt and .410 shotgun rounds. i want one bad. for a personal defense handgun you cant go wrong. that will ruin a robbers day real quick. applys the KISS technique(keep is simple stupid)

I would also recommend a good revolver. Ruger makes **** fine revolvers...

BUT, I will say this, (and take it with a grain of salt: this is just something I happened to observe the other weekend and is mixed with a dash of personal preference): while it's absolutely true that a revolver is pretty much dummy-proof, they ARE a bit harder to shoot accurately. In close quarters for home defense purposes, this probably won't matter much but it IS something to consider...

I was over at my brother in laws place shooting the other weekend, and he just got himself a nice Glock. This thing fired like a dream. You could hit something 20 yards away consistently in rapid succession: something that is pretty tough to do with a revolver unless you are pulling the hammer back between each shot. His little nephew wanted to try shooting it (about 10 years old or so) and I am not kidding you: this kid has never shot a handgun in his life, and after we stressed repeatedly to keep his thumbs out of the way of the slide mechanism, he proceeded to empty a whole clip into a can about 20 yards away and only missed maybe 2 or 3 shots. That's **** impressive (and perhaps a little bit scary)!

Made me a believer anyway: I will definitely be getting myself a nice little Glock when cash flow is a little better. I couldn't believe how nicely that thing fired...

I would go with the Taurus revolver......I would also consider barrel length....shorter = easier to conceal and ok at very close range...longer = better acuracy at long range....well longer range than a short barrel revolver....

Look at the Taurus "Judge" available in various barrel lengths, 5 shot revolver, comfortable rubberized grip, and will shoot either a 45 cal. bullet or a .410 shotgun shell (or any combination of both)....I really love mine...

Outdoorsman

I agree that it should be a gun you are going to be comfortable with. It won't do you any good if you leave it at home because it's not easily carried.
I would seriously consider a revolver for a first gun. My first was a Ruger SP101 in .38 Special. I love that gun. Points good, shoots good, carries like a dream. I call it my "Sunday Gun", as it conceals easier than any of my other firearms. I usually carry a Sig in 9mm during the week, or sometimes my 1911 in .45. But it seems I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for that little .38.
Revolvers are good trail guns also, as you can have one or two chambers loaded with snake-shot, (if that's an issue where you are) and still have a few hollow points for the bigger critters.
Consider weather and environment also for a carry piece. If you live somewhere hot/humid/sweaty, consider spending the extra money on stainless steel.
Just my $.02.

if you wanted to go the cheap route i would go with hipoint c9 9mm luger i have owned/carried one of these for over 3 years and i like the gun very well because of it's accuracy. people really like to bash these guns though. i have shot well over 1000 rounds through mine and not once has it ever jammed or failed in anyway and still shoots straight. it is a polymer frame with a heavy top end but for $120 you can't go wrong with this gun. every company produces lemons but if you buy new you get a lifetime waranty. they also have a .40 s&w and .45acp that aren't much more but they aren't best for concealment because of their size. the 9mm isn't any larger than a compact 1911 and is 1/4 of the price. bersa also makes a nice .380 for around $250-300 but they are just too small for me. go to youtube and look up highpoint reviews and watch as many as you can. .22 is good to start out on and would drop someone if you had to but so would a slingshot. when you do decide on a gun shoot it as much as possible so you get comfortable with it and you don't make a mistake when it really counts. good luck

Ruger LCP both the wife to be and I carry one. $315 out the door in most places. Trigger is heavy enough not to require a holster but recommended just because, pocket holsters for it run about $15. The revolver is about the same price but the foot print is larger.

Oh and I shot a jude the other day, that thing is soo sweet... Oh and by the way don't get a revolver an auto loader makes faster reloads and with today's ammo you typically have no problems with correct maintenance.

Bassman018 said:
Oh and by the way don't get a revolver an auto loader makes faster reloads and with today's ammo you typically have no problems with correct maintenance.

I'll vehemently disagree with you on that one.

If you are thoroughly familiar with firearms and you keep the gun spotless you might not have any problems. It all depends on the weapon.

I have a buddy that is very familiar with his firearms and keeps them in spotless condition that had one of those Keltecs that you mentioned. He got rid of it because it was the jammingest pistol that he had ever laid hands on, regardless of ammunition.

They make speed loaders that will reload most double action revolvers in about 3 seconds.

Quackrstackr said:
Bassman018 said:
Oh and by the way don't get a revolver an auto loader makes faster reloads and with today's ammo you typically have no problems with correct maintenance.

If you are thoroughly familiar with firearms and you keep the gun spotless you might not have any problems. It all depends on the weapon.

I have a buddy that is very familiar with his firearms and keeps them in spotless condition that had one of those Keltecs that you mentioned. He got rid of it because it was the jammingest pistol that he had ever laid hands on, regardless of ammunition.

They make speed loaders that will reload most double action revolvers in about 3 seconds.

I have to agree with Quackestackr, I got rid of a Para 1911 that would jam with most brands of ammo. I keep my firearms clean, tried different mags, use proper shooting form, and would get a stovepipe about every other mag.

Quackrstackr said:
Bassman018 said:

I agree with Quackrstackr. Some autos will jam just from the last round fired from it. Here is a test, Drop an auto in a mud hole, take it out and see how many times you can fire it. Then take a revolver, drop it in the same mud hole, then take it out and see how many times you can fire it. My money is on the revolver. Not all gun battles are done in a sterile environment.

i have had bad experiences with a 1911 in adverse conditions, with a Glock however I have had zero problems no matter what model it is, also I have shot many rounds through a friends Keltec and had no malfunctions, my point is you have allot more capacity with a semi auto and easier ways to carry a spare mag. Where do you plan on carrying a cylindrical speed loader?

Latest posts