Looking for a new to me motor....

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ringo Steele

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I have a 15.5' semi-vee and am looking for a larger motor, since I just have a 5 hp at the moment. I have a line on both a 15 and an 18 hp Evinrude, from 1972 & 1973 respectively. The owner says the compression is in the 90's. Is this normal range for the compression? I would be looking newer, but the budget has me limited to about $600 right now, so no 4 strokes I guess! :roll:
Anything I should look out for on these motors? They have had new impellers, carbs have been cleaned, other stuff replaced as necessary.

I would take a close look at the wiring, my 1971 Mercury 200 20 hp the insulation on the wiring was all dried out and when it was touched it would fall off. Not a deal killer as it can be rewired but it is a bargaining chip. I also had to replace some seals in the lower unit,including rebuilding the water pump. I can't say the seals were leaking when I bought it as I have probably put between 75-100 miles on it since I got it.

Latest posts