Looking to purchase a new Truck....what have you purchased?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They don't make a 3/4 ton with shorter than a 6.5ft bed so your in luck there. The beds just look smaller on a crew cab because the cab is so high. An 8ft bed is what's hard to find
Hmmmm.....so my eyeballs are out of calibration.

Thanks.....Roger

I feel the same way about my RAM. I like the truck. I drive less than 8000 miles/year. We normally keep vehicles for 10+ years. I expect it will be the last truck I every buy.
I drive less than 4500 miles per year so were in the same boat. I make some money with my truck and it works well in the central Alberta winters. I don't get stuck.
I think dodge is making a pretty smart looking truck now. Maybe even a bit better looking than an equal Ford.
But still, this Ford is the last vehicle I intend to buy.

I think all the major brands make excellent trucks. I would go with a 3/4 ton since you will tow a travel trailer. The 3/4 ton towing is a major improvement in stability when towing. I have an older F150 with the 5.4L which is great but doesn't compare in towing with my 3/4 ton Suburban.

My first truck was a Ford Ranger in 1991. Drove it until 2004 when I sold it and bought my first Tundra, a used 2000. That truck was totaled in 2015 in a high speed deer strike and I replaced it with a 2015 Tundra which I still have. Over the years, I have put 290K miles on the two Tundras.

My first truck was a used Dodge (D-100) with a slant 6, big vinyl bench seat, and a 3 speed on the column. I wish I still had that truck.

Toyota might be coming out with a new Stout that sounds cool. I drive a 2022 Ford Maverick and love it. My wife drives a 2021 Honda Ridgeline and it is an awesome ride.

My first truck was a used Dodge (D-100) with a slant 6, big vinyl bench seat, and a 3 speed on the column. I wish I still had that a

My first truck was a used Dodge (D-100) with a slant 6, big vinyl bench seat, and a 3 speed on the column. I wish I still had that truck.
A friend's dad had one when we were in high school. It had a vent on the passenger side. When you would open it a funnel of wind would rush in and blow everything around like leaf blower. It was cool to get peoples reactions. We called it the nyawnk because the starter would go nyawnk nyawnk nyawnk a bunch of times before it started.

A friend's dad had one when we were in high school. It had a vent on the passenger side. When you would open it a funnel of wind would rush in and blow everything around like leaf blower. It was cool to get peoples reactions. We called it the nyawnk because the starter would go nyawnk nyawnk nyawnk a bunch of times before it started.

That brings back some memories. Don't know how old you are, but back in the good ol days, those floor vents were pretty common and served as "air conditioning".

I'll be 50 next month so I've ridden in a few trucks that didn't come with ac when I was young but they had the side window vents like my 1984 c10 does. It also has a similar vent like the D100 but I've never tried it nor the vents in the doors.
I never really cared for the body style but I'm coming around especially if I see a clean survivor. I saw a a light blue metallic one a while back. Classic

Last edited:
I'm looking very closely at a 2016 F-250 4X4 Crew with 6.2L and 6 speed with 48K miles. Original owner who purchased new....very solid and reliable drivetrain.
Found one that a guy is willing to include in a package deal with a pop up truck camper (same owner who also purchased it new) that I am interested in. Basically, I could get the truck at $30K if I purchase the camper. Otherwise the truck is NOT for sale nor is it advertised.

Heck, the 2019 Northstar pop up camper and this 2016 truck combo price is less that what I would pay for a newer truck (2018-2022) alone with similar mileage!!
That seems like a decent deal if that's what you want. The 250 will be far better at hauling the camper or towing your trailer than a half ton. Current half tons have soft springs to make for a cushy ride, if you want to haul or tow substantial loads helper springs or air bags are a must.
It's all if you can deal with the day to day gas mileage of pushing a 3/4 ton down the road everyday. It takes more gas to drive a 7000lb hunk of steel than a 4500lb hunk of steel.

That seems like a decent deal if that's what you want. The 250 will be far better at hauling the camper or towing your trailer than a half ton. Current half tons have soft springs to make for a cushy ride, if you want to haul or tow substantial loads helper springs or air bags are a must.
It's all if you can deal with the day to day gas mileage of pushing a 3/4 ton down the road everyday. It takes more gas to drive a 7000lb hunk of steel than a 4500lb hunk of steel.
Unless he decides to go diesel on the 3/4 ton than he can get the same mpg as a half ton.

Sticking with gas.

Update:
Owner sold the camper the same day, just after I saw it. That’s ok. I found another one.

He confirmed that he would honor the $30K price. Plus he’ll include the Torklift camper tie down brackets that are already on the truck. Again, 2016 F-250 XLT, 4x4, 6.2L gas, shortbed, 48K miles.

Found an ‘18 same specs, for $47K. It only has 10K miles…. Like new.

Unless he decides to go diesel on the 3/4 ton than he can get the same mpg as a half ton.
MMMMMM I don't know about that. I thought the F150 gassers got 17-19mpg?? I have a 22 F250 4x4 CCLB with the 7.3l gas, and in 28K miles I only average a bit over 13mpg. It's right @15mpg on the highway no trailer driving like I got some sense.

But to the OP, I couldn't be happier with another truck. Plenty of power for what I tow. Fishing boat, duck boat, marsh boat, enclosed trailer for dirtbikes/quads and some bird dogs. Hell everything I own on 1 trailer wouldn't weigh 15K lbs so no way I was getting a diesel. It's a $10K option.
My wife says it's ridiculous the amount of gizmos and options that are on it. We're a baseball family(kid still plays in college) and the baja leather looks like baseball glove to me, so that was a no brainer. But, I went 22yrs with a 2000 F250. It had 350K miles on a 5.4l when I got this truck. At 55yrs old, I'm hoping the aluminum body will see me thru 80!

MMMMMM I don't know about that. I thought the F150 gassers got 17-19mpg?? I have a 22 F250 4x4 CCLB with the 7.3l gas, and in 28K miles I only average a bit over 13mpg. It's right @15mpg on the highway no trailer driving like I got some sense.

But to the OP, I couldn't be happier with another truck. Plenty of power for what I tow. Fishing boat, duck boat, marsh boat, enclosed trailer for dirtbikes/quads and some bird dogs. Hell everything I own on 1 trailer wouldn't weigh 15K lbs so no way I was getting a diesel. It's a $10K option.
My wife says it's ridiculous the amount of gizmos and options that are on it. We're a baseball family(kid still plays in college) and the baja leather looks like baseball glove to me, so that was a no brainer. But, I went 22yrs with a 2000 F250. It had 350K miles on a 5.4l when I got this truck. At 55yrs old, I'm hoping the aluminum body will see me thru 80!
3/4 ton diesels are easily capable of 20+ mpg. My 2017 with 3.42 gears would get 23mpg@ 70mph. My 2021 has 3.73 gears and will get 21mpg@70mph . It has more miles with a trailer attached than it does empty though. Lifetime average is 14.9mpg not bad considering it pretty much lives with a 102x22 trailer attached to it. This is with a ram and its 6 speed trans Ford and Chevy get slightly better mpg with their 10spd trans.

A 7500 pound trailer pushes a 4500 pound hunk of anything around a whole lot more than it does a 7000 plus pound hunk of anything. I'd consider a dually if I were pulling something much over 5000 pounds regularly. They don't lane change with a side breeze like a half ton will.

3/4 ton diesels are easily capable of 20+ mpg. My 2017 with 3.42 gears would get 23mpg@ 70mph. My 2021 has 3.73 gears and will get 21mpg@70mph . It has more miles with a trailer attached than it does empty though. Lifetime average is 14.9mpg not bad considering it pretty much lives with a 102x22 trailer attached to it. This is with a ram and its 6 speed trans Ford and Chevy get slightly better mpg with their 10spd trans.
I must have misunderstood. I thought you were saying that the 3/4 gas Fords could get as much as the 150's

Purchased a NEW 2023 GMC 3500HD, 6.6L gas and 6 speed auto. Crew, 4x4, short bed, White, and a few packages.

This truck was difficult to find...as I did not want a diesel, and I did not want the expensive options (ex. leather, sunroof, etc). The 2500 would have worked just fine, but this 3500HD appeared, and I snatched it up! Best thing.......$3K UNDER MSRP and UNDER $60K!!!!

IMG_5891.jpg