Looking to purchase a new Truck....what have you purchased?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tin Man

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Just sold my beloved 2003 Ford F350 2WD, V10 with 8300o miles. Ran great and I took very good care of it. However it is 20 years old.

But now that I'm retired I have an itch for a new or newer Truck....just like the new boat I recently purchased!!

So, I am at a crossroads on my selection....

I tow, on occasion, a 7500# GVWR 25' travel trailer
I tow my boat.
I am interested in a pop up truck camper (fit on standard full size truck short bed)....I love the idea of easy solo camping, easy towing, the lighter weight, the low clearance, able to tow my boat, etc....although just not sure how often I will use it.

1. New or used
2. 1/2 or 3/4 ton ( gas only)
3. Domestic 3/4 ton (Ram, Ford, GMC, etc.). only consider V8 gas engines
4. If 1/2 ton leaning towards Tundra.., not sure about new twin turbo V6… or may be the 2021 and older tried and proven 5.7 V8

Are any of you in similar circumstances and what did you end up purchasing and why?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Im on my second Ram 1500 (I lease em through my company) and I love it.

Ram still has a V8 (until 2025 MY) then they are going to a twin-turbo inline 6. It is a V8 with what they call e-torque (which my current truck has) they consider it a mild hybrid, though I don't see the mpg's any better than my previous non-etorque Ram.

I previously leased BMW's for upwards of 15 years and Ill tell you what, the Ram's interior is nicer than any of the BM's I had. The ride is great, plenty of power and if you are so inclined, you can get all kinds of cool extras. Definitely not cheap though. My Laramie stickered at $74,500, but it is loaded.

2019 RAM Laramie (19).JPG

Current 2022

IMG_4081.jpg

I bought a used 15 F150, 2.7 turbo 4x4 in March, coming from a well used 06 Silverado 1500, 5.3 4x4 with 350k miles. Paid out the nose for it but the used market is still crazy, trucks in that price range sell in a matter of days, I missed out on 3 or 4 just because I couldn't get to them quick enough.

I wanted the 2.7 because it gets marginally better fuel economy than the 3.5, has less cam phaser issues, and was built from the ground up to be turbocharged. I think it's a fantastic little engine. My current average is 19.5 per the computer, hand calculated is closer to 19 even, pretty significant compared to the Silverado that would get 14-15 no matter what you did with it.

Seems like the #1 thing guys like to tell stories about is gas mileage, best thing to do is go to Fuelly and see where the averages are for any particular truck/engine combo, that will likely be the closest to reality.

GM has greatly improved their AFM/DOD system but cam/lifter failures are still common and the repair bill is HUGE. As I recall the labor alone is something like 20 hours. Dodge has the same crap. Ford's 5.0 has a lot of oil consumption and cam phaser problems as well, I personally don't see the appeal of a V8 anymore, they are so far removed from the engines they used to be, there is really no benefit in reliability anymore.

My neighbor just bought a 2022 Silverado 1500 with the 2.7 turbo 4 cylinder. I was not impressed at all with the build quality. Feels like a Kia when they first came out 20 years ago. The engine seems peppy and up to the task, although I don't know about longevity, it's a pretty new design.

Toyotas V8 is still a very old design and probably the best choice for reliability, but the worst for fuel economy.

Truck bed campers will require a 2500 at a minimum, a 3500 is even better. They are heavy, and a truck that is loaded close to it's maximum payload is not fun to take on long trips. The Hemi is still a good choice in the Ram 2500, I've heard great things about Ford's 6.2/7.3, and GMs 6.6 is solid.

Last edited:
I bought a used 15 F150, 2.7 turbo 4x4 in March, coming from a well used 06 Silverado 1500, 5.3 4x4 with 350k miles. Paid out the nose for it but the used market is still crazy, trucks in that price range sell in a matter of days, I missed out on 3 or 4 just because I couldn't get to them quick enough.

I wanted the 2.7 because it gets marginally better fuel economy than the 3.5, has less cam phaser issues, and was built from the ground up to be turbocharged. I think it's a fantastic little engine. My current average is 19.5 per the computer, hand calculated is closer to 19 even, pretty significant compared to the Silverado that would get 14-15 no matter what you did with it.

Seems like the #1 thing guys like to tell stories about is gas mileage, best thing to do is go to Fuelly and see where the averages are for any particular truck/engine combo, that will likely be the closest to reality.

GM has greatly improved their AFM/DOD system but cam/lifter failures are still common and the repair bill is HUGE. As I recall the labor alone is something like 20 hours. Dodge has the same crap. Ford's 5.0 has a lot of oil consumption and cam phaser problems as well, I personally don't see the appeal of a V8 anymore, they are so far removed from the engines they used to be, there is really no benefit in reliability anymore.

My neighbor just bought a 2022 Silverado 1500 with the 2.7 turbo 4 cylinder. I was not impressed at all with the build quality. Feels like a Kia when they first came out 20 years ago. The engine seems peppy and up to the task, although I don't know about longevity, it's a pretty new design.

Toyotas V8 is still a very old design and probably the best choice for reliability, but the worst for fuel economy.

Truck bed campers will require a 2500 at a minimum, a 3500 is even better. They are heavy, and a truck that is loaded close to it's maximum payload is not fun to take on long trips. The Hemi is still a good choice in the Ram 2500, I've heard great things about Ford's 6.2/7.3, and GMs 6.6 is solid.
For the record, Ram 1500's are the 5.7 Hemi and the 2500's are the 6.4 Hemi. Same basic architecture.

The new Chevy trucks are junk. I cannot recommend them. GM is cutting too many corners.
AND....GM was proud to tell the public in a news statement that they are getting almost 90% of their parts from outside the US....proud of that !!! I am so proud of them I will never buy another GM product...proud to say...

Dealerships here in Oklahoma are full of brand new trucks. They offer great deals on them. Some are offering very low financing for three years. Nice but not many can afford to pay off a $70,000 dollar truck in three years. On the high end trucks dealerships are offering $10,000 off but that is not saying much when the sticker price is still over $80,000. I have a 09 chevy 4x4 and a 2010 ford 4x4 paid for and they both run great. Both have some dents and rough spots but they are trucks. The next time am driving down a dirt dirt road (daily) I'll think about that $70.000 dollar truck , NOT

Prices these days are crazy. In 2021 I purchased a new ram 2500 diesel for $54k...I think window sticker was 59k now the same truck same options is 79k. I usually trade in every 5 years and write em off...(farm trucks) but if prices and interest rates stay so inflated I may be holding onto this 21 for awhile. If I was in your shoes I would probably look at a new or slightly used f250 with a 7.3 gasser. Gm has really gone down hill and I'm not a big fan of the new hemi engines or the smaller turbo motors they seem to put in the half tons these days

I'm looking very closely at a 2016 F-250 4X4 Crew with 6.2L and 6 speed with 48K miles. Original owner who purchased new....very solid and reliable drivetrain.
Found one that a guy is willing to include in a package deal with a pop up truck camper (same owner who also purchased it new) that I am interested in. Basically, I could get the truck at $30K if I purchase the camper. Otherwise the truck is NOT for sale nor is it advertised.

Heck, the 2019 Northstar pop up camper and this 2016 truck combo price is less that what I would pay for a newer truck (2018-2022) alone with similar mileage!!

Realizing you don't want a diesel, I will share that I have an '18 RAM Laramie crew cab 4x4 eco diesel. Tons of torque. 20 MPG towing the boat. 16 MPG when I towed the 5000# travel trailer. 25 mpg when not towing. However, I don't have a heavy foot. I drive mostly the right lane like the 70+ year old that I am. :) Back in '18, I was able to get it for significantly lower than MSRP. Prices for the same truck today are crazy.

While a 7500# travel trailer would be within capacity of my truck, I think I would opt for a 3/4 ton to pull that -- like the F 250 you are looking at.

I don't envy you the task of finding a new truck. And then you ask, "What's best, Ford, GM, Ram, or Toyota?" :LOL:

My first truck was a Ford Ranger in 1991. Drove it until 2004 when I sold it and bought my first Tundra, a used 2000. That truck was totaled in 2015 in a high speed deer strike and I replaced it with a 2015 Tundra which I still have. Over the years, I have put 290K miles on the two Tundras.

My opinions:

Ram: While I was looking to get a new truck, I drove a rental Ram. I just didn't care for it. I have friends who have various Rams of various years and all had rust issues. Wasn't keen on their reliability.

GM (and Chevy): Not a GM fan, didn't even look. Brother-in-law had several GM trucks, and all had issues, but he was "GM or nuthin" and kept going back for reasons unknown to logical people. Loved by BIL, and may he rest in peace, but I never understood why he only drove GM vehicles. Every time we visited I had to listen to the list of issues, noises, and nuisances with the truck and how the dealer couldn't find the issue.

Ford: I was a Ford guy until I got my first Tundra. Several good friends have the Ford twin turbo V-6. They seem happy with them. One pulls a large travel trailer with his, and he's happy to this point. I was looking at Fords when I got my new Tundra in 2015. The deciding factor came down to whether or not it the new truck had four real doors, a 6' bed, and if that configuration would fit in the garage. The Tundra did, and the Ford was a bit too long.

Toyota: We have loved our Toyotas. Between the two Tundras and a 2008 Highlander (totaled in 2018 by a semi on the interstate), we have logged well over 500K miles on those vehicles with very little in the way of unscheduled maintenance.

If you're looking for reliability, it doesn't get much better than the Tundra, in my opinion. The Turbo V-6 is good, and nobody does the hybrid power train better than Toyota.

If you're looking used: The Toyota 5.7L is a good engine, if it has been regularly maintained. That means 5K mile oil changes regularly and all of the fluid changes for transmission, differential, transfer case, power steering brakes, and coolant. But, the gas mileage is horrendous. I never get any better than 15 mpg with mine.

Be aware that if you look at a pre-2016 Tundra, the gas tank is smallest in the class. 26.5 gallons. Combine that with worst-in-class fuel economy and the range is very short. The design in the software for the truck has the fuel light come on with about 6-7 gallons of fuel remaining (it's true), so range is usually under 300 miles before that light comes on.

If I was looking at new today, it would come down to a shootout between the F-150 and the Tundra. How it would turn out is anybody's guess.

For a half ton- Nissan Titan. 5.6 V8 (naturally aspirated), 9 speed transmission.

For a true heavy half, Nissan Titan XD. Same engine and transmission. The only true heavy half on the market. It’s built on a heavier frame, bigger brakes, heavier suspension. Get the XD if you go the slide in camper route. The extra payload will be beneficial. This is the number you really need to be looking at.

Look up some videos of both trucks. Most of the videos I saw on the XD, people did comparisons with 3/4 tons, it held it’s own with them.

Both trucks have a factory 5 year 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty.

I bought a new Titan in February 2021. It’s been great. Sounds great also.
While pulling a 19’ travel trailer, 10mpg. When pulling a boat, 15mpg. Around town, 12-15mpg. Interstate, 15-19mpg (4 adults with cruise set 75-79).

The engine is built in US, trucks are assembled in the US, all configurations.

But now that I'm retired I have an itch for a new or newer Truck....just like the new boat I recently purchased!!

I tow, on occasion, a 7500# GVWR 25' travel trailer
I tow my boat.
I am interested in a pop up truck camper (fit on standard full size truck short bed)....I love the idea of easy solo camping, easy towing, the lighter weight, the low clearance, able to tow my boat, etc....although just not sure how often I will use it.

1. New or used
2. 1/2 or 3/4 ton ( gas only)
3. Domestic 3/4 ton (Ram, Ford, GMC, etc.). only consider V8 gas engines
4. If 1/2 ton leaning towards Tundra.., not sure about new twin turbo V6… or may be the 2021 and older tried and proven 5.7 V8

Thanks!
I'm (lightly) looking for a 3/4 ton, as I do pull a 5th wheel camper a few times a year. With the weight of the camper you have, I wouldn't go anything less than a 3/4 ton. I'm pulling a 4800# now, and that's marginal for a 2004 F150 with factory tow package. (Yes, I had to look for a bit to find one that fit the limitations of my already-owned pickup.)

T'were me, I'd be looking at Ford or Ram, mid-to-large gas V-8 engine, 3/4 ton, extended cab, (NOT 4-door), 2 WHEEL DRIVE. Reasoning for me is that I don't go where I would need 4 WD, and I don't want the extra parts underneath to wear out or break on me. I want the 6.5-foot box, not that little short thing they put behind a 4-door cab that would require me to get a sliding fifth wheel mount.
That being said, it's a bit difficult locating a 2WD pickup in Iowa. If I were further south, it woiuld be a fair bit easier.

Just being picky, I guess.....Roger

I'm (lightly) looking for a 3/4 ton, as I do pull a 5th wheel camper a few times a year. With the weight of the camper you have, I wouldn't go anything less than a 3/4 ton. I'm pulling a 4800# now, and that's marginal for a 2004 F150 with factory tow package. (Yes, I had to look for a bit to find one that fit the limitations of my already-owned pickup.)

T'were me, I'd be looking at Ford or Ram, mid-to-large gas V-8 engine, 3/4 ton, extended cab, (NOT 4-door), 2 WHEEL DRIVE. Reasoning for me is that I don't go where I would need 4 WD, and I don't want the extra parts underneath to wear out or break on me. I want the 6.5-foot box, not that little short thing they put behind a 4-door cab that would require me to get a sliding fifth wheel mount.
That being said, it's a bit difficult locating a 2WD pickup in Iowa. If I were further south, it woiuld be a fair bit easier.

Just being picky, I guess.....R

Just being picky, I guess.....Roger
They don't make a 3/4 ton with shorter than a 6.5ft bed so your in luck there. The beds just look smaller on a crew cab because the cab is so high. An 8ft bed is what's hard to find

I have a 2019 with the 3.5L EB. Great truck, really, with a 10,500# tow rating. Strong and silent.

That being said, when towing much over 5k, it gets VERY thirsty.

I would recommend the F250 or F350 for such duty.

For towing 7,500 and/or a truck bed camper I think you can eliminate the 1/2 tons from your search. I have a 2015 F150 with the 3.5 eco boost, crew cab, and a 6.5 foot bed. It's tow rating is something like 11,000 lbs and I'm comfortable at around half of that. It's not about the engine, which could pull a house off the foundation, but the frame, suspension, and breaks. I also had a pop-up truck bed camper for a while, one of the "lighter" models. Well, "light" in those things should be taken with a shaker of salt... I ended up adding air bags and they helped but that thing still maxed me out. Did the in-bed camper with the intention of being able to tow a boat or ATV behind, but with a 1/2 ton I just wasn't comfortable adding any more weight to the package. A 3/4 ton would be marginally adequate for a light truck bed camper, but if I were to do it again I'd be getting a diesel 1 ton. That said, I won't be doing it again because the loading and unloading the truck bed camper was a pain compared to just hooking up a tow behind. Maybe if I could leave the camper in all season, but I use my truck for other truck things so that wasn't an option.

As for engines, to me it boils down to personal preference. I live at higher altitude and there's no way I'd ever be caught with a naturally aspirated gasser. They just lose too much power at altitude, especially in the summer when I tend to be towing and hauling lots of stuff. I'm head over heels in love with my 3.5 twin turbo. The thing just never runs out of power and rarely has to downshift going over mountain passes. By contrast I drove a few Chevy's with the 5.3 that couldn't stay in top gear if there was a headwind. Unfortunately, the 3/4 and 1 ton rigs either come with big bore NA V-8's or turbo diesels and while I'm not a diesel-head (and it would be expensive mega overkill for 90% of what I do) if I want to upgrade to a better chassis someday it's what I'll have to do. If you're a flatlander a big V-8 might work just fine for you.

I have a 2017 F-150 FX4 Lariat with a 5 litre coyote engine with lots of extra junk. Bought it new and it will be the last vehicle I buy unless someone steels it or it gets smashed up.
It's a great truck and won't part with it.

I feel the same way about my RAM. I like the truck. I drive less than 8000 miles/year. We normally keep vehicles for 10+ years. I expect it will be the last truck I every buy.

For a half ton- Nissan Titan. 5.6 V8 (naturally aspirated), 9 speed transmission.

For a true heavy half, Nissan Titan XD. Same engine and transmission. The only true heavy half on the market. It’s built on a heavier frame, bigger brakes, heavier suspension. Get the XD if you go the slide in camper route. The extra payload will be beneficial. This is the number you really need to be looking at.

Look up some videos of both trucks. Most of the videos I saw on the XD, people did comparisons with 3/4 tons, it held it’s own with them.

Both trucks have a factory 5 year 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty.

I bought a new Titan in February 2021. It’s been great. Sounds great also.
While pulling a 19’ travel trailer, 10mpg. When pulling a boat, 15mpg. Around town, 12-15mpg. Interstate, 15-19mpg (4 adults with cruise set 75-79).

The engine is built in US, trucks are assembled in the US, all configurations.

My prior truck was a 2WD crew cab Nissan Titan. Bought it new and had it for just over 10 years. Great truck. Very responsive. But I always thought of it as a kind of light duty truck. They didn't have the XD or diesel options back when I bought it.

Latest posts