Lowe 16x48 Restoration

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheeseball said:
I really like the cammo pattern. But man all that aluminum musta cost you an arm and a leg. I've been pricing aluminum around here :shock: and looks like I'm going with wood.

Thanks and welcome back! Yep, they don't give that aluminum away ... I didn't keep up with the exact dollar amount but I'm thinking I've got about 2 grand in the project ... including the trailer.

ben2go said:
Not to offend anyone but this has got to be one of the best builds. =D>

Wow .... thank you ... that's quite a compliment ... its been a fun project and a cure for cabin fever which I struggle with every winter ... Thanks

I think you've got one amazing 2K rig! I also would have to say this is one of the best I've ever seen. The work... just great. Thanks for posting for us.

You know, you have to bring that thing to Missouri and let me show you around some of these flooded cornfields this fall. And for all those who don't know this guy like I do, I wouldn't expect anything less from him. Everything I have ever seen him do was 110%. Man that is some awesome work. =D> Let me know when you get back home from HOME (Texas), chasing those reds. Later.....Jeff T.

wyodeputy said:
Today, we finished the floor, put in some access hatches over the gas tank and battery, finished the camo clad application and mounted the motor. We're at 99% ... hopefully we'll get the poling platform knocked out tomorrow. Thanks for looking !
file.php

What is that foamy-tile-diamond-plate pattern stuff that you are putting on there?
That looks quite interesting. How much $? Where did you get it? What is the brand name?

This is my first post on your build thread, but I have been following it from the beginning. What an amazing build this is. It is exactly how I want to do my build; Aluminum only.

It looks like that you used rivets AND welded in some spots. Why both? Handy to use rivets to hold the parts together while welding?

Good luck with your fine boat and I look forward to your response!

Finally hit a point where we can say we're done.... that doesn't mean there is no more to do but for this trip, our purposes are accomplished. The boat and trailer will be following us 1800 miles to the Texas Gulf Coast. Its really been rewarding to work on the project throughout the winter and the boat being in the family for years just sweetens the deal knowing it'll get use for many more years to come just as it did growing up around all those rivers, marshes and bays of the gulf coast.

I've noticed all the junk in the garage takes away from the pictures but its dark out so I can't pull the boat out for pictures outside. I'd like to add more pictures as we travel from state to state and I'll try to get some pictures when she hits the muddy water down on the coast. Stay tuned, and thanks for lookingPicture 019a.jpgPicture 014b.jpgPicture 004c.jpgPicture 012d.jpg

Attachments

• Picture 007e.jpg
    Picture 007e.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 1,102
cprince said:
wyodeputy said:
Today, we finished the floor, put in some access hatches over the gas tank and battery, finished the camo clad application and mounted the motor. We're at 99% ... hopefully we'll get the poling platform knocked out tomorrow. Thanks for looking !
file.php

What is that foamy-tile-diamond-plate pattern stuff that you are putting on there?
That looks quite interesting. How much $? Where did you get it? What is the brand name?

This is my first post on your build thread, but I have been following it from the beginning. What an amazing build this is. It is exactly how I want to do my build; Aluminum only.

It looks like that you used rivets AND welded in some spots. Why both? Handy to use rivets to hold the parts together while welding?

Good luck with your fine boat and I look forward to your response!

The foam interlocking flooring with diamond plate pattern are workout mats I got from Sears. The stuff is typically put down under weight lifting equipment or other similar application. This idea started from one of Jim's posts where he mentioned using mats similar to those used in horse trailers, available from tractor supply. While I was considering that idea, Ryan saw a garage which was covered with "craftsman inter-locking shop mats" and he noticed they weighed next to nothing. So I went to Sears and they had both the shop mats and the weight lifting equipment mats which were thicker so I went with them. They come in 6 packs, about 3/4" thick and they measure 2'x2' feet. About $65 a pack, so that gets you 24 square feet; I bought 3 packs and barely had enough. They are easily cut (we did a lot on the table saw for a clean edge) but a carpet knife works fine too. We glued them down with contact cement.

The welding/rivets question is hard for me to explain ... here goes. We opted for rivets when we needed to fasten a sheet of aluminum towards its middle away from the welded edge, to prevent "drumming". The only way to weld this is to drill a hole, then weld down through that hole and into the old aluminum below (maybe a boat rib for example). So then you're left with a protruding weld that must be ground off, which is where you lose a lot of strength and the potential for the remainder of that weld to break is pretty good. Also, there were areas where we needed a rivet application to pull the two pieces together and the riveter does a good job of this just before it pops or breaks loose. This was just my theory ... and there may be nothing to it. You may wanna try it ... if you do let me know how it went. Not too sure If I explained this adequately or confused you more. Let me know.

I see you have the poling platform made,looks real cool especially with the dual exhausts off that motor.
Those mats aren't as heavy as them cattle mats?

Hope your trip goes well and uneventful.Spot lots of redfish on the platform or whatever you look for up there.

I am finishing my boat up this week but have decided after seeing your I will be camo cladding it next winter. I will never use it for duck hunting because we are just too rough on boats but it looks too cool and is very affordable.

I will be hitting my father-n-law up for a welder very soon. Thanks for the inspiration!

Howdy all !

Been on the road a couple days with the restored Lowe 16x48 in-tow. We hit a bad storm on I-80 in Wyoming. Looked like I was towing a mud-sickle till we got to Oklahoma. Don't know if it shows in the picture but there's about 2 inches of nasty, muddy ice and snow stuck to the boat. But all was well when we hit the Lone Star state-line ... BEAUTIFUL weather was waiting for us. I'm happy to say the trailer tows like a champ. Very, very pleased as it will never be tested bigger than this road-trip.

Still haven't got to the water yet ... funny thing ... when Gulf-coast bound from Idaho ... you're still only half way at the Texas state-line ! Nevertheless, when I get to the water, I'll be prepared with a camera and I'll post the pictures soon after ... as always, Thanks for looking everyone !

Picture 001a.jpgPicture 002a.jpg

Those pictures are undeniable proof that you are indeed the man! Awesome job! Makes me want to learn to weld - really. Suppose I could learn it from a book? Too bad I didn't know you were in Oklahoma, I woulda tried to drive down and see it in person. Thanks again for sharing.

Good to see your trip is going okay.
Hope the boat/motor work perfect,when on the water.

Maybe your good at sewing too...you could hand craft some new boat cover design:)

Well I finally got to some water and I'm very happy with the results. It was not the best day on the water as a cold front hit us (never saw that coming ... musta followed us from Idaho) and it was very windy with lots of chop on the water. This area is tidal so a lot of water was blown out which made it easy to find some shallows to run in. The boat really flies ... much faster than my other boat and it handles very well. Hole shot is better than I ever expected and the boat's shallow water capabilities are outstanding. However, there were a couple hang-ups: we had to remove one of the floor bolts from the transom braces after the steel-flex application and I forgot to seal it up. Lots of water came in through that hole.... nevertheless an easy fix.

Secondly ... not happy with the camo-clad, just about everywhere below the splash rail peeled right off. I'll be on the phone with camo-clad on Monday to see if they'll warranty the product. The new president of camo-clad (Joe Warner, I think) has helped me before on a different issue and I hope he'll come to my aid on this as well.

But functionality of the boat rates way up there. Very pleased over all. Sorry I wasn't able to get any video (don't know how to post that anyway) but here are a few shots of the test run. Thanks for looking !

[/b][/size]100_2756a.JPG100_2762f.JPG100_2770b.JPG100_2774c.JPG100_2785d.JPG

100_2790e.JPGDad volunteered to take some drive-by's of the boat ... I really can't tell you how pleased I am with its performance ... better than I expected ... faster than I imagined and the open hull design is very roomy. Other than the previous mentioned problems ... I'll tweak a few things here and there but all in all ... she's done. Thanks for looking!

Cool pics ! Do you have to stencil the reg numbers on or can you also use the stick-on vinyl letters/numbers? Sorry to hear about the camo-clad problems. Let us know how that turns out with the company.

Waterwings said:
Cool pics ! Do you have to stencil the reg numbers on or can you also use the stick-on vinyl letters/numbers? Sorry to hear about the camo-clad problems. Let us know how that turns out with the company.

No I can use the stick-ons ... just had the stencils so I used them ... I will be sure to post my results with Camo-clad. thanks

Latest posts