Lowe 16x48 Restoration

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes please post results...i was about to order mine till i read this...let me know how it turns out

I was curious how that vinyl was going to stick to the steelflex. I just recently put steelflex on my boat, and I don't see how anything could adhere to it. I would guess that is the problem, not the camo clad.

This was a great build to watch from start to finish.
Sorry to hear about the camo but glad to see the performance and handling was more than you expected.
Keep us posted and hope you get years of enjoyment out of your boat.

Brine said:
I was curious how that vinyl was going to stick to the steelflex. I just recently put steelflex on my boat, and I don't see how anything could adhere to it. I would guess that is the problem, not the camo clad.

Well I knew I wanted to put the camo-clad over the steelflex from the very beginning so I asked Jerry (at Fasco) specifically about how adhesives would stick to it and he said there would be no problems with adherence. I wanted to clear that up before making the investment in camo-clad (70 bucks per 4'x5' sheet!) So I'm not certain the steelflex is the problem. Will be following up with Camo-clad in the morning. Stay tuned.

So here's a couple pictures of the camo-clad disaster. As I mentioned, the excitement of the boat's first day on the water was subdued after seeing the pieces of camo-clad hanging off the hull. The painstaking surface preparation and careful application seemed all for not; that coupled with so many positive comments about how great the camo-clad looked really caused my stomach to knot up. (I too, was impressed with the look ... much better than paint in my opinion).

Hard to believe 1800 road miles through blizzards, sanding trucks and other hazards of the roadway (which you might expect on such a long trip) took no toll on the stuff but one hour in the water was too much. Anyway... here's a few pics .. thanks for looking.100_2794.JPG100_2793.JPG

wyodeputy said:
Brine said:

Well I knew I wanted to put the camo-clad over the steelflex from the very beginning so I asked Jerry (at Fasco) specifically about how adhesives would stick to it and he said there would be no problems with adherence. I wanted to clear that up before making the investment in camo-clad (70 bucks per 4'x5' sheet!) So I'm not certain the steelflex is the problem. Will be following up with Camo-clad in the morning. Stay tuned.

Interesting. From what everyone has said about Jerry, and with my Q&A with him, he sounds like he is an authority on the subject. I sure woudn't have thought you could get anything to stick to it tho without scuffing it up.

I'm interested to hear what Camo-clad says. From your pics, it look like it would peel right off. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. You've got a great boat.

Brine said:
wyodeputy said:
Brine said:

Interesting. From what everyone has said about Jerry, and with my Q&A with him, he sounds like he is an authority on the subject. I sure woudn't have thought you could get anything to stick to it tho without scuffing it up.

I'm interested to hear what Camo-clad says. From your pics, it look like it would peel right off. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. You've got a great boat.

Well I spoke with April at Camo-clad today and I gave her the link to this site and the Lowe "16x48 restoration" thread so they could see the pictures. I was in traffic and couldn't stay on the phone so I explained what happened and I asked them to look it over and call me back. She was gonna speak with Joe and get back with me ... haven't heard back yet but maybe tomorrow.

The thing that gets me is, it adhered to the exterior of the boat... there's no disputing that. At times during the application process, it was necessary to remove or pull the stuff back off (to remove a bubble or re-position it) and it was stuck on there and I mean stuck good! Then the long drive down here ... still stuck good ... but once in the water ... well you know the rest. I just don't get it. Bad batch of adhesive on the camo-clad? I don't know ... looking forward to speaking with them again. I really like the stuff and would like to try again. Stay tuned ... thanks for comments.

wodeyputy
glad to pics of that GREAT looking boat in the water.Sorry about the camo clad,but look at it this way that is just cosmetic and can be fixed you did one heck of a job on that boat and should be very proud of that.Thank for letting all of us see it.and thank you for taking time to answers my ?'s

Just curious if you and/or Camo-clad figured out what happened.

Brine said:
Just curious if you and/or Camo-clad figured out what happened.

Sorry, I see that you posted at the end of April and I've been off the site for awhile - sorry for the delay. I made my case to April (in the office) and while on the phone, helped her navigate to my link and the page that showed what had happened. (' pictures worth a thousand words ... better than me describing it) I asked that she show it to the president/owner (Joe) and requested he call me back... never heard a word. I guess there's my answer. Don't really know what my next option is so I'm in limbo... camo is mostly cosmetic but it will affect the functionality when hunting this fall. The camo has adhered fine to the inside of the boat, and I know I could't paint the exterior to match (not even close) so I'm in limbo ... trying to figure out what to do to finish. Kinda dissapointing to my have the peak of the project and all the excitement of the first voyaged quashed like that. Nevertheless, the weather in Eastern Idaho has improved greatly and the snowed in ramps have thawed. Ryan and I have been on the river several times and the boat runs great. If I find a solution, I'll document it here (of course). Thanks for looking !

No aplogies needed for me....and thanks for the reply.

Man, I'm sorry to hear that you haven't gotten any resolution yet. I hope the folks at Camo-clad reconsider helping you determine why the product failed. For this situation....you just gotta be persistant. Many companies I work with are comfortable ignoring problems figuring that a percentage of those problems will go away without any effort. I'm not saying this is what Camo-clad is doing, but I can't imagine that a rep for their company (let alone the owner/president) took the time to read your build and could not be determined to find an answer. How could they??? It's the only blemish on an otherwise spectacular build. I sure wouldn't want pictures of my product peeling off in sheets floating around the web without addressing it.

CAMO-CLAD...... If you are reading this......At least let us know you are interested in standing behind your product!

:popcorn:

Henry Hefner said:
Brine said:
CAMO-CLAD...... If you are reading this......At least let us know you are interested in standing behind your product!

:popcorn:

+1
You diffenitly deserve a response.
Hopefully they will atleast try to explain what may of happened.

keep bugging them and telling them that you will be sharing this experience with your friends and on the websites you are a part of. Just keep annoying them, they might replace/refund the product just to get you off their back

I do not mien nothing neg, about it being cosmetic and i do feel your disappointment.Just keep calling and e-mailing them EVERY DAY!!!!!
I had a dodge truck that the paint was coming off of,dealer said there was nothing he could do it was out of warranty. a few month's,after calling and e-mailing them EVERYDAY for about 4 month's dodge repainted no charge.

the squeaky wheel gets the grease

I know this is my first post here, but I have had problems dealing with camoclad in the past. And it was only for getting a price quote. Contacted several times and then went through the rep of the specialty camoflage who said he would pass on the request personally. Still no call or quote. Since its a special pattern that I am a dealer of I cant just use their standard prices. Needless to say Im not happy with their service so far, and now I see this. Looks like I will just forget about my plans for using their product. Had 4 vehicles, 2 snowmobiles, and 2 boats that were going to be done between my partner and I. Guess not.

I know several people that have had less than stellar results after applying that stuff to duck boats.

It's just glorified contact paper and doesn't do particularly well with abuse and constant contact with water.

would really love to see more on how you built the polling platform, this is EXACTLY what i want on my jon for fishing the oyster bars at cedar key, please shoot me and email or post more pics! [email protected]

Howdy. Found this forum while researching stuff for my new boat. Amazing work and I love this site. I'll contribute soon.

Anyway, I just ordered up some Camoclad for my jon and was curious what ever happened with them. Did they ever respond? Any answers?

He has not been here since Oct 09 it was IMO a good mod.

I started living here lol during this build and enjoyed it very much .

Latest posts