Lund Boat Project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawmill

Reaction score
I am buying supplies for my boat project and when I went to get paint I run into a problem. I am going to use Rustoleum paint and the topside line has a primer for aluminum but it does not have the color we want. It has the excat color of the red on the boat in there regular paint line. My question is what will happen if I use there primer which is oil based and the color of paint we want which is latex based. Will it do anything like bubble up or react to the primer? I e mail rustoleum several days ago but still have not heard from them. Thanks

When I had my boat sand blasted I used Topside with out a primer and that stuff stuck like glue. It did help to have all the small pits from the sand though...

This what I wanted to know. Thanks for the help. I will be taking the outside down to bare metal as it has been painted with a brush and has a lot peeling off. Should I spay the paint on or will it come out smooth with a roller? If I use a roller is there any tips to get a nice smooth finish? Thanks again Ivan

This what I wanted to know. Thanks for the help. I will be taking the outside down to bare metal as it has been painted with a brush and has a lot peeling off. Should I spay the paint on or will it come out smooth with a roller? If I use a roller is there any tips to get a nice smooth finish? Thanks again Ivan

SPRAY IT IF YOU WANT SMOOTH, SAND WITH LIKE 220 AND WORK UR WAY UP TO LIKE 800 OR SOMETHING CLOSE. THE BETTER THE PREP JOB THE BETTER THE PAINT JOB. ALSO YOU DONT HAVE TO GO TO BARE ALUMINUM AND IF YOU DONT YOU WILL NOT NEED A PRIMER. CLEARCOAT?