Mercury 60 vs. Johnson 60 vs. Evinrude 70

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a follow up/end to this thread, the 60 pushes the boat great. With a 19p prop, she touched 39 @ 5700 RPM (the recommended WOT speed) but holds at 37-38 mph with no problem. Here is a video of the 2nd lake test. I could probably put on a better prop, but I'm pretty happy with it as-is:

So that's the end of it. I'll play with the Mercury 60 and the Johnson 70 at some other time.

Got the built-in fuel tank under the floor cleaned out, with new hoses and sender unit. Fuel gauge now works.

Also, have the tach and other gauges wired properly, replacing all the old, corroded stuff. A little progress here and there, and it will eventually be done.

Hey, I know this is an older thread. I am wondering how the 70 hp carbs are working on that 60. I have a 1983 Johnson 60 hp. I am not sure if I can toss 70 hp carbs on it like you did to yours. Wouldn't mind some more power with no added weight....

The motor runs very well. I think I posted a video of it. Is there one in this thread?

Yes... scroll up to reply #22 above, and you can watch the video. It runs close to 40 MPH and breathes easy at 35. I'm very happy with how it runs.

I can't be sure if it's as fast as a 70, but it feels like it. More than enough power for my boat.