minnimum cold cranking amps?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

borntofish

Reaction score
I need a cranking battery for my 1997 Yamaha 25hp 2 stroke. How small of a battery could I get away with? Could I use a garden tractor battery or some other smaller battery? What would be the minnimum cold cranking amps that I would need. I have a deep cycle battery for electronics. Also my motor has pull start as well so I'm not worried about getting stranded.

Yes a garden tractor battery will work. IIRC Mine is a 350cca.

There's no doubt that a law tractor battery will work, but I'm not sure what minimum CCA you could get away with. I've got one on my 25hp Mariner and there's not doubt that it is more than is absolutely needed. It has 425 CCA, but it was given to me. When I replace it I will be looking for something a little smaller but not sure what that will be right now.

i had a 275 CCA battery for my 25hp that worked fine for starting and like stated above I have manual/electric start so it wasn't really a concern for me...

I regularly run a 40hp Johnson with electric start on a 340CCA U1 size battery. I have used 275CCA many times also. These batteries run nav lights and power trim systems with out any complaint. Power trims get used practically every time I change the throttle position. Still no problems.

I noticed the U1 batteries weigh between 15-20lbs. The ones that weigh more have the higher CCA.

Latest posts