Motor wouldn't go over 2400 RPM temporarily?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z33tec

Reaction score
Trying to figure out what would cause this temporarily? I was heading out from a bay to a main lake, everything was seemingly fine in the bay. I got to the main lake and went to speed up, the motor wouldn't go over 2400 RPM and would just shake, sounding like it was hitting a rev limiter. I continued to my fishing spot at low speed, fished for a bit, and when I turned the motor back on, the issue was magically gone. Videos show motor and tach.

The bay I came through is very shallow and weedy. I thought maybe I had picked up a bunch of weeds on my way out that were interfering with the prop, but I raised the motor and checked and didn't see anything. Certainly possible something was there and then fell off, but this doesn't seem like the typical cavitation that weeds cause.

Could this be signs that the fuel pump is dying? Something else?

Attachments

• 20240824_141744.mp4
    14.8 MB
  • 20240824_141730.mp4
    26.3 MB
Your engine went in to S.L.O.W. (Speed limiting overheat warning). If you have an owners manual it is clearly outlined in it. Can be reset by turning off the key switch and back on again. If the issue still exists the engine will continue going in to SLOW until it is repaired. Pretty much anything on the tan leads can protect the engine by activating this circuit. You apparently do not have a functioning warning horn?

Your engine went in to S.L.O.W. (Speed limiting overheat warning). If you have an owners manual it is clearly outlined in it. Can be reset by turning off the key switch and back on again. If the issue still exists the engine will continue going in to SLOW until it is repaired. Pretty much anything on the tan leads can protect the engine by activating this circuit. You apparently do not have a functioning warning horn?
Ahh, this would make sense... Previously, I noticed that my telltale was not peeing out any water one day. After blowing into it and seeing if there was anything blocking it, I restarted the engine and it started peeing water just fine. I thought maybe some bugs got in there and blocked it up, so didn't think much of it after that.

If this is an overheat warning, and the telltale wasn't working randomly, is it most likely the water pump impeller is shot/worn out/on its way out?

P.S. I wasn't aware til now, but yes, when I press the horn button now, it's not working, so guess that'll need to be replaced.