My 10 foot flat bottom jon boat project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks bigwave! I think once I get it on the trailer I'll decide weather or not I'll cut some off the tounge. It's hard to tell from the pics but it's alot longer than what I need for my 10 foot jon.

I would also leave the long tongue (Bigwave is right on the backing up thing) I have a 10'er and the trailer has a long tongue on it which helps me see the boat when launching (Pulling it with a 2500 Dodge Ram). The other thing is if you ever get a bigger boat you may be able to use the same trailer.

That was a good find for 50

I'll also cast a vote to leave the tongue long. And another + to leaving it long is that you can launch your boat without getting your vehicles back tires in the water, even on the shallow angle ramps.

You're going to have a nice set up there once you get that trailer set up for your boat. Keep up the good work and keep the updates coming. Well done so far!

Thanks UtahBassKicker! I got the bunks recovered with new carpet and got some hardware to get them mounted and snugged down. I'll tighten everything up once I get the boat on and move them where they need to go. Hope to get her in the water soon!

Well it's been a while since I updated this thread. I got the trailer painted and now I ned to rewire it and put a bunk up front for the bow to rest on. I'll post up a pic of the trailer tomorrow. I ended up getting another boat. It's a 14 foot starcraft. It's in better shape than the 10 footer I had and will be more stable for me and the kiddos. I'll post a pick of it tomorow too. I'll have to rename my build thread I guess...lol

As promised here are pics of the painted trailer and the new boat. The new boat is in better shape than the 10 footer. She just need a paint job for now and I'll work on the inside later. I have my eye on a bmini top on craigslist so that may be the first mod on her. Here is a quick pic I snapped this morning:
IMAG0426.jpg

I finally got around to painting the trailer. I got a free can of paint from my father inlaw so this wasn't my forst choice for the color but after painting the trailer my wife had the bright idea to go with a Florida Gator theme so I said great idea! Turned out pretty good! I'm going to paint the rims silver and I have a few spots to touch up but the bulk of the painting is done on it.
IMAG0411.jpg

Thanks fool4fish! Yeah and now I can take the wife and both kids out at the same time...lol I think with the 10 footer I could only take the kids with me or the wife not all of us...lol

Nice new boat, I agree with fool, you will be much happier with the 14. The trailer turned out great too, only problem I see is the paint is the wrong colors [-X ...should be Tennessee Orange......Go big Orange....... :LOL22:

i would have went with the bigger platform also but i must say great job on polishing that ten foot turd you started with

Thanks joseph! Yeah it was pretty rough when I got it. It had been sitting for about 10 years. I'm hoping to start painting the new boat this weekend.

Nice work on the trailer sir! I'm gonna have to steal that idea on mine when I get some free time! =D> :beer: =D> Here's to the gators having a better season this year! [-o<

Anyway nice build this far, I'm thinkin my newphew is the age that I need to get a small boat for so I might start looking for something like this as well...good luck on the build!

Also what kinda paint did you use on the trailer? Did you have to clean it up with a grinder or just paint right over the rust and what not?

Thanks gators! I'm hoping they have a better season too. The paint I used was latex, the main reason I used it was it was free...lol The orange is just a rattle can. I didn't bother sanding the rust off as the trailer was $50 so when it wears out ill get a new one. :smile: