My mid 1960's Starcraft Seafarer 16'

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigrog61

Reaction score
I just joined this sight after reading just about every page of mods and conversions. I have done numerous boats in the past to fish our walleye run then sell it in the summer because i enjoy it. But now i am wanting to do one with my sixteen year old son so that we can have it just the way we want it and that he can take it with his friends. I have done two boats recently and saved the profits so that this one really was not robbing the piggy bank. It needs alot of work but it will be a great father and son project. We already have a 15hp merc with electric start and the trailer is like new it is a 2002. we started by tearing the rotted wood seats out and the piles of whatever ended up in there and also about 1000 flies that came to life when we put the heat on in the garage. The shop vac cured that problem. So we both decided to keep a log of what we do. It will be our jigging and handlining boat and duck hunting plus steelhead boat.

Attachments

• Picture 434.jpg
    Picture 434.jpg
    697.8 KB · Views: 2,376
  • Picture 435.jpg
    Picture 435.jpg
    700.3 KB · Views: 2,376
We just sanded and primed the one side i am posting a pic of it wanted to do more but need to get snowblower ready we are going to get hit hard with snow tonight. plus i hope it gives us time to go into the think tank as i am drawing a blank as what i should do next or for layout. Little rog has workouts tonight anyway for next football season so maybe i can try and draw up some plans or any suggestions would be great!!!

Attachments

• Picture 432.jpg
    Picture 432.jpg
    600.8 KB · Views: 2,333
fool4fish1226 thank you for the welcome!!! And you also have a awesome looking dog we have one that looks alot like yours and very spoiled to boot!!! He thinks hes a person. And yes we will post more pics and the stories behind them as we enjoyed reading others.

Hey Bigrog I stopped by to check out your build. Looks good that 16 will give you a lot to play with. Were are you down river. I live in Roseville.

Jim

Jimmy, I live in Allen Park-Southfield and allen road area. I've fished the det river since i was a little boy with my dad and learned to handline with the old victrolla boxes he had. I jigg and bottom bounce alot but love pullin wire. My son and i went up to mannistee river this past fall with a buddy from work so now we are wrapped up in to floating for steelies and salmon also, something else to wrap money into!! We are going to try and make it a multi-purpose boat, if that is possible. :lol:

Well today went to the home depot and shopped it up wow is all i can say did not remember plywood being that much! I cut the bow cover and the small outside transom plate and that was it. Just did'nt feel up to it found out this week my sister who is only ayear older than me has stage four bone cancer.I feel helpless there is really nothing i can do to make it right.Hopefully we get some good news and she beats this and i will take her on the maiden voyage. :cry:

Sorry to hear about your sister. Been there, done that with family and it's not easy. Hope all turns out well for everyone. Project is looking good!

Detmer13 Thanks for the kind words she is feeling better but still in hospital in marietta ga. So i ventured out to the garage figure i will get done what i can and head down there after work friday.

Had help from a neighbor and friend tonight we were able to get the floor cut and transom piece cut. I only wanted the floor to run down the center because of weight and the fact we are going to put boxes where the center seat was one for fish finder and radio and the other side for storage.

Attachments

• Picture 291.jpg
    Picture 291.jpg
    635.6 KB · Views: 2,119
  • Picture 297.jpg
    Picture 297.jpg
    691.1 KB · Views: 2,119
I decided to put this nose piece on because we will be putting on a anchor mate, also i can store things under the bow with out the worry of them blowing out. It is starting to look like something but i spend more time changing my mind on what to do. :lol:

Attachments

• Picture 298.jpg
    Picture 298.jpg
    672.1 KB · Views: 2,118
Nice rig here! Did you do anything to the bottom of the hull exterior or just priming and painting it? Post what you use and how it turns out as I still haven't made my mind up. Definitely going to keep an eye on this build!

Tynimiller, No my son ruffed up the bottom and it has been primed with the self etching primer. That is all i have done in the past with all my other rebuilds. But having said that we marked off the center of the bow where it makes the v and we put the spray on bed liner there because we will keep this boat and it will be beached sometimes while we steelhead fish. And hopefully it will help protect it and we just used the bedliner spray that comes in the rattle can so it can easily be touched up if need be. If you would like me to post a pic of what i am saying i can with no problem. Also i am pretty sure you have a seafarer. I think you will be very happy,they seem to be build like a tank that is why we are going to keep this one. Roger

bigrog61 said:
Tynimiller, No my son ruffed up the bottom and it has been primed with the self etching primer. That is all i have done in the past with all my other rebuilds. But having said that we marked off the center of the bow where it makes the v and we put the spray on bed liner there because we will keep this boat and it will be beached sometimes while we steelhead fish. And hopefully it will help protect it and we just used the bedliner spray that comes in the rattle can so it can easily be touched up if need be. If you would like me to post a pic of what i am saying i can with no problem. Also i am pretty sure you have a seafarer. I think you will be very happy,they seem to be build like a tank that is why we are going to keep this one. Roger

Thanks! Have you had success with the bedliner stuff staying on the exterior of the boat? I know lots of guys talk about drag it creates...but I honestly see it as so minimal that if it sticks well to the primer on the outside I may just do that below the water line to safe cash (and as you sait touch ups wouldn't be a hassle at all). Can't wait to see more pics as you progress through your build.

well today was a warm and sunny day in michigan so we got a few more things done!! it is starting to feel like we are getting some where.

Attachments

• Picture 303.jpg
    Picture 303.jpg
    795.6 KB · Views: 833
Went back out in the evening ad finnished the boxes on the sides.I think i have made enough stencils for the camo paint job to. And to answer the question about the truck bed liner on the outside, i have to friends that swear by it on there duck boats said it saves the bottom of there boats when they drag them over dikes. One says he notices a slight drag in speed but well worth the protection.

Attachments

• Picture 299.jpg
    Picture 299.jpg
    848.6 KB · Views: 833
Today we were able to get some painting done!! We used a quality paint brush for the base coat and once that dryed. this is whar it looks like.

Attachments

• Picture 309.jpg
    Picture 309.jpg
    831.8 KB · Views: 817

Latest posts