My mid 1960's Starcraft Seafarer 16'

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gotta make sure the kids are involved too! :-D Mine is 10 and he's already given me some input for our mod.

Attachments

• IMG_20120304_175254[1].jpg
    IMG_20120304_175254[1].jpg
    524.2 KB · Views: 810
fishingmich- That is a very cool idea!! Even if you ever sell your boat you will have to save that piece!!! There is nothing better than having your kids involved it makes life long memories :D Little Rog as he is known even though he is bigger than me :lol: has always hunted and fished with me since he was just a little guy, He is sixteen now but still finds time to spend with me and it is a great feeling as you know!! Hope you two have been out enjoying our weather :)

Hopefully tomorrow we will be enjoying it on Whtimore Lake whackin' some crappies! I missed out on Sunday, my buddy sent me a picture and he brought home 35. I had to "volunteer" to work on my daughter's varsity softball field instead of fishing! #-o

tynimiller said:
bigrog61 said:
Tynimiller, No my son ruffed up the bottom and it has been primed with the self etching primer. That is all i have done in the past with all my other rebuilds. But having said that we marked off the center of the bow where it makes the v and we put the spray on bed liner there because we will keep this boat and it will be beached sometimes while we steelhead fish. And hopefully it will help protect it and we just used the bedliner spray that comes in the rattle can so it can easily be touched up if need be. If you would like me to post a pic of what i am saying i can with no problem. Also i am pretty sure you have a seafarer. I think you will be very happy,they seem to be build like a tank that is why we are going to keep this one. Roger

Thanks! Have you had success with the bedliner stuff staying on the exterior of the boat? I know lots of guys talk about drag it creates...but I honestly see it as so minimal that if it sticks well to the primer on the outside I may just do that below the water line to safe cash (and as you sait touch ups wouldn't be a hassle at all). Can't wait to see more pics as you progress through your build.

While you save a little initially on the price over a steelflex, the difference in drag may be more of a cost then you think. For example, a boat gets an average of 5mpg with the steelflex super slick, and only 4.5mpg with the truck bed liner. For every 100 miles driven by the boat, you are using 20 gallons of gas w/ steelflex and about 22.22 gallons w/ bed liner--or an extra 2.22 gallons of gas per 100 miles. Since gas is about $4 a gallon most places, call it an extra $10 for every 100 miles you drive. If the boat drives 1000 miles in a season, figure you would be spending $100 more in gas in a season--which would make up the difference in the price of steelflex super slick vs. truck bed liner--in 1 season. If you use your boat more then that, the savings/spending would could really add up.

Well it has been great weather and everyone we know is out getting walleyes in the river and panfish in all the lakes,but we are trying to get done so we can get out !! we just finnished the outside last night tonight we will try and finnish the inside.

Well for now it is finnished for the season. We took it out on the river Saturday and everything worked as it should we did good on the walleyes too. One of my buddies neighbors is interested in it so my son and i are both thinking about it we have are eye on another project :roll: So we may be posting a new project soon. I know that i will still be on this site reading all the different projects and getting ideas. Here are some finnished pics. Good luck to everyone on there projects and good luck this fishing season!!!

Attachments

• Picture 315.jpg
    Picture 315.jpg
    964.3 KB · Views: 710
  • Picture 311.jpg
    Picture 311.jpg
    937.7 KB · Views: 710
  • Picture 314.jpg
    Picture 314.jpg
    950.7 KB · Views: 710
  • Picture 312.jpg
    Picture 312.jpg
    870.6 KB · Views: 710
I sure do enjoy looking at all the different ways people can look at a boat and change it so it fits there style. Before finding this website we only knew a few different possiblities on how to make your boat more fishable :shock:

Hey Rog! Is that a homegrown camo pattern or did you buy it somewhere? I'm painting my boat approximately the same color, but haven't decided about camo yet. My little man wants flames so I'm thinking about camo flames!

Oh yeah, how did that sixteener do on the river? I've always wanted to take my boat down there but was always nervous about it. Always wondered how a small boat would do down there!

Hey fishingmich-Yes it is a homegrown pattern. We started with a gallon of parker duck boat paint from cabellas and then just a couple different cans of flat colors that you find anywhere. We used manilla folders and drew what we thought would look like bark and took a razor knife and cut it out then four or five different weed designs on smaller pieces of cardboard and cut them out and finally we made some different leafs. To be honest that was the the most fun :) I had read a article on using three different designs and colors to give you a three d look. I typed in how to paint a duck boat and got some ideas and went from there you can see in some of the earlier pics how roger and my ideas of the bark differ, it really doesn't matter it all blends together. I think the camo flame job would be a awesome =D> I like his way of thinking! As far as the river goes your boat would be more than fine,the majority of the boats out there are 14's and 16's for years i fished out of a 13' meyers i had. I had three sea nymph 14r's over the years and never was concerned. That is why i am following jimmy finns 14r project he's a master at this stuff and now he's got me thinking about one just what i need :roll: We have been doing real well on the walleyes both jigging and handlining. Great year for them. If you decide to come down i would gladly show you where to go and how to do it, if you have not done it before.

I did it one time wih a guy from work, but it was so cold and it was the one time in my life that I wasn't dressed that warm enough so we only stayed about an hour. The guy had a 17' Nitro so fishability wasn't an issue, but hypothermia was! I would love to come down and try it out sometime, Unfortunately, this walleye season is out of the question since my daughter plays softball right now. We definitely need to keep in touch, because I will take you up on that offer!

Latest posts