Need some help with upgrading soft plastic spinning combo

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njTom

Reaction score
I am looking for some help/advice on choosing a new spinning combo for soft plastics. Throw mostly small to medium weightless, T-rigged baits. I am looking for an all around set up for a weekend angler. All of my spinning rods that I own now are BPS brand (great buy when their on sale) but I would like to upgrade them to something a little better within the next year or so. I am taking the family to Baltimore, MD tomorrow for a mini vacation to visit the aquarium. So for my birthday (which is today) I asked all my family to get me BPS gift cards since our hotel is 1 mile away from Bass Pro (you know I planned that :D ). I would like some help on what I should purchase. Price range between 150.00-250.00. I have my eye on the St. Croix Avid 7' medium, fast with a pfleuger supreme reel. What do you guys suggest for a decent all around soft plastic combo? Suggestions on rod length, action, and reel size would also be helpful.

Thanks
Tom

Sounds like you have a great combo in mind there already. I prefer a 2500 sized reel or equivalent, which is 200 yds of 6 lb test 140/8 120/10.

Happy Birthday Tom.

In that price range, I love my Shimano Spirex RX 2500. Mine is on a Shimano 7 ft. medium Crucial. Pretty nice set up for me. Also, at least in St. Louis, if you buy a Shimano rod at BP, it is unconditionally guaranteed and they will replace it, no questions asked, with store receipt. They're good rods, but the guarantee is better. If my memory serves me correctly, that's a combo for under $200.

One set that a lot of people love is the Pflueger President series. I got one step down (Trion GX) but the quality is still there. The Trion GX7 combos run around $60 at BPS, the President combos start around $120. Personally they are worth every penny.

Mine is the 7ft M one piece IM8 rod, with Pflueger 4540GX (2500 equivalent) reel. I love it, it is smooth, strong and problem free.