new boat project with pics

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your doing nice work.
Have you put the boat in the water,as is?
Just with all the modding,the way it rides might change,especially with livewell way up front.(if that is the livewell)
I only use a portable livewell and the boat handles best if its put about a third way down from the bow. Not only does the boat handle better but it's easier on the fish;less movement.
Again, way to many variables to figure out,the way you have it could be perfect.

My Neighbor just got a Tin boat. Some Dilbert put Carpet down. Glued Down. To a Riveted Hull.
Now we have to tear all that carpet up to find those leaks.

DONT PuT CARPEt down. :cry:

Hi, thanks for the replies.

I cant float the boat til the trailers built. It hasn't rained here for 7 months. The nearest dam is about 1 hour drive away.

Im not going to install a live well yet. I have plenty of room under the cast deck to add one later. Ill run with the cooler and aerator idea for the moment.

Everybody seems to worry about the weight. Ive taken out 15kg and added 25kg so far. This boat is rated for 5 passengers and the previous owner said with 5 people it barely moved. Ive probably got 100kg to add yet plus the motor and tanks. All up it wont be much more than the weight of 1 large passenger.

Has anyone used those polyethylene pool noodles as floatation? I did some research and the are not effected by fuel and only burn when the flame is applied directly. I figure I need about 1 cubic meter which should float 1000kg. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Pool noodles work, do a water test with a 5lb weight to determine how much they'll lift, then bundle them up high in your hull so it won't turn turtle.

update, ready for plumbing and wiring. Then its floatation flooring and controls.

Attachments

• 0026.jpg
    0026.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 972
Ive been thinking about fabricating a seat mount with an offset shaft so I can move around to change the balance and the distance from the console, this is something like what I mean.
0027.jpg

Hi, thanks for the link. I think Ill fabricate my own tho. Ive got enough materials lying around and it makes it that little bit more custom. You know built not bought.

Heres the update.

I have run some 7 core trailer cable through some 300psi air hose from the console to the front as a future proof and another to the back with the sounder cable in there too. At this stage I will only be running a sounder, GPS and bilge pump.

Then got stuck into the floor, as normal went to the hardware and they didn't have what I wanted so I went with a standard ply 17mm or 11/16". It was less than half the price anyway, Once it gets a hit from the Jotacote 605 it will be ready for carpet.

I managed to get all the floor cut out and test fiited from 1 sheet. I used a router to rebate the underside edge where the angle was doubled up in a few spots, worked out great. I made sure to leave a clearance for the carpet too.
0030.jpg

Update, got the front deck test fitted. Have a bit more timber to cut before carpeting. Then on to the console fabrication.
0031.jpg
0032.jpg
0033.jpg
0034.jpg

Update, Got all the timber cut to size and the hatch doors cut and trimmed for clearance. It looks amazing having all the pieces together, almost like its finished....but nowhere near it in reality.

The timber work was quite simple, the hardest part was measuring the curved surfaces. I could have used templates but I trust my marking out and it all came together nice and neat.

It helps a lot having every power tool known to man in the old shed. I used a power saw for the majority, mainly because jigsaws do not cut a nice verticle line. I used the power saw and did a plunge cut then trim just the very corners with the jigsaw. Then used a router to put a nice rounded edge on the fronts and a power plane to trim down a few spots.

I think the carpeting will be the biggest challenge.

0035.jpg
0036.jpg
0037.jpg

update, still carpeting. Its a real pain in the back, literally. I better have a day off to let it heal.

Ill post up more pics when there is more interesting things happening.

Update, So the back pain was a whole lot more severe than first suspected, so after 2 weeks of lying down the L5 Disc damage has got a bit better.

The other hold up was the steering system I ordered got shipped to the wrong state then sent back and not logged in their computer system, and it was the only one in the country. Finally arrived today so I can start on the console.

Pics to come when cosole is being built.

I had a ruptured L5-S1 a few years back. I was 26 when it happened. I wish you luck with the build and the back. I hope your back heals quickly. The boat is looking great!

Really great work so far! Interested to see how this looks when its finished.

Hi all, I haven't forgotten about this thread. After the back healed I decided that I cant tow the new boat with an old rattly wagon.

So I bought another wagon from a wrecking yard and have been flat out getting up to scratch to tow the new boat and trailer.

These are a before and at the moment shots. Until the wagon is done I cant tow anything so it has to be done before I finish the boat.
0001.jpg
0036.jpg

Update, I got the wagon finished, now Im onto the boat trailer. About 4 hours work got half the frame done, Ill keep the updates coming as I get more done.
trailer001.jpg