New guy With a new boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Downtown

Reaction score
Hello,
New guy here with a new boat. I've been checking out this site for awhile and figured i would finally say hi.
Here is a pic of my new river ride. It is a 2013 tracker grizzly 1648 SC w/ a 60/40 Merc.
Unfortunately I dont have a trolling motor yet and I doubt I will until next spring.
I mostly fish the susquahanna in the wysox/towanda area.

Attachments

• downsized_0426130929.jpg
    downsized_0426130929.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 2,078
Thanks, This boat seams to be about perfect for the river, I opted for the grizzly because of the room to move around and i thought without the carpet it would be easier to keep clean.

The only complaint i have with this set up is that the foot sits 1.5 inches below the bottom of the boat. The motor is mounted as high as it can so i might have to invest in a jackplate in the future but it still runs good and jumps on plane pretty quick. I was wondering how much performance or speed i will be losing with the foot sitting an inch and a half low.

I have the same boat, but a 2012. I would recommend moving the battery and gas tank further to the front of the boat, with stock setup the boat required almost three feet of water to get on plane. I have since tossed the side console and mounted a custom front console. The boat will now jump on plane in very little water. Enjoy your new ride. Cheers.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=315058#p315058 said:
Downtown » 17 May 2013, 11:50[/url]"]The only complaint i have with this set up is that the foot sits 1.5 inches below the bottom of the boat. The motor is mounted as high as it can so i might have to invest in a jackplate in the future but it still runs good and jumps on plane pretty quick. I was wondering how much performance or speed i will be losing with the foot sitting an inch and a half low.

That has to spray so much with the foot that low. That is also a ton of drag and a rock magnet sitting that low..

Get it flush with the bottom, you'll never regret it being correct.

Yes it does spray.
Ive been looking at jackplates but doubt i will be able to get one this year. The motor is mounted as high as it can go so my only option is a jackplate.

Nice looking boat. I'm sure it will look even nicer with a trolling motor sitting atop the bow. I also fish mainly the Susquehanna but south of you, usually between Sunbury and Harrisburg with a few trips on the Juniata when the water is up.

If that is a brand new boat bought from a dealer, well it is not set up correctly I would look into having them set it up properly!

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=315804#p315804 said:
RAMROD » 14 minutes ago[/url]"]If that is a brand new boat bought from a dealer, well it is not set up correctly I would look into having them set it up properly!

That's what I was getting at when I asked him if it was new from the dealer.
Don't let them talk you into a jack plate either. Doesn't take much looking around on the internet to decide if you want one or not.

Well to be honest I dont really want a jack plate, However, in order move my motor up I will have to drill new holes as the motor is mounted as high as it can go. Just looking at it without taking measurements Im sure I can drill new holes 1.5 inches higher without any issues.
The way it sits right now im on plane in about 1 in a half boat lengths, once Im on plane I trim my motor up a little. I havent had any issues with the set up but I know there is room for improvement.

I decided to see how height I could raise my motor today. I forgot to grab a drill but ended up moving it up 5/16" and picked up 1.5 mph. I still didn't have any cavatation. With mine going from flush to 5/16 higher and gaining 1.5 I would guess your definitely losing a decent amount of speed.

I went out and looked it over real good after my last post. I might have to go with a jack plate. The holes are that are drilled in the transom are as high as i would dare go and the motor is mounted as high as it can go, so instead of drilling new holes and moving the motor up i may have to drill new holes for a jack plate and go that route or just settle with the way it is. Either way it is what it is for this year.

I think you'd be alright drilling new holes and moving it up. My grizzly has a 20" transom and the motor mount is sitting on about a 2.5" spacer block. I would definitely put some diagonal bracing or bigger corner gussets on though, the welds on my gussets were cracked when I bought the boat. I used 3/4" metal conduit for braces, I can post a pic if you're having trouble visualizing what I'm talking about.

Could you clarify, with a straightedge against the bottom, are you saying that the toe (front) or heel (rear) of the foot is 1.5in below that line?

Latest posts