New Guy with a new winter project (Project Craigslist)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishinchef

Reaction score
Alright here is the deal I have been looking for a boat for a while. I was looking for something inexpensive but everything I was finding was out of my price range or just to far away to justify the cheap price. So what I did was post an ad on craigslist wanted section for a jon boat. About a week later I got an email saying to come and pick up the boat for $20. Heck yeah!! So I started today by giving it a bath and getting my workshop ready for the new project. I will be posting updates about the build. There are four different holes that need to be patched and it needs new transom support, but for $20 it will do.

I am unsure about the model/year from the old logo (whats left of it ) the first two letters are BA and the last two ON. Anyone have an idea? I am currently on the hunt for a trailer and going to start planning the layout for "Project Craigslist"

From what I have seen on this site it looks like I have found a new forum home. The craftsmanship, attention to detail, and knowledge is awesome here. I look forward to the build and seeing what ideas everyone has to share.

Also come spring if anyone wants to fish some of the lakes/private ponds in the south metro area let me know I'm always looking to go.

**pics to come tonight gotta set up them up in photobucket**

Welcome aboard mate :D

Oh and SWEET way how you got the boat, perfect title for it :lol:

whats the size of it?

its a 14ft and 32 inches wide. I'm still trying to determine the make. The funny thing is I picked the boat up in the "beater" truck I purchased off of craigslist and bought the boat with money from a sale off craigslist. I'm trying to see if I can complete the boat with stuff from there. Trying to see what I can complete out of nothing. Should be a fun project

sweet doin everything from craigs list might take time but i bet it will be fun!!!

Here are the pics as promised.

100_1091-1.jpg

The middle seat was already cut out for some reason so easy access for a floor and decking

100_1092.jpg

The transom needs new support, handles, and some new hardware

100_1096.jpg

This is the biggest hole in the bottom, its only about half the size of a penny

In the NADA list of boats there was a BAYON listed from 1971 to 1983. I don't know what they look like but you may want to start there looking. Good luck.

bob there are too many letters for it to be "Bayon"

Here is the picture of what is left of the logo.

brandlogo.jpg

A quick note on the title... I know MASS is a pain in the bum about titles and registration and sales tax and bills of sales.... they will even require you to register a canoe if you mount a trolling motor on it... :evil: also I know, at least for mass... if your boat doesnt have a 12 digit Hull Identification number on it (typically before 1972) then you have to have an epo assign one to it before you can even start TRYING to get a title for it (i know all this from experience from another boat i was going to fix up and it is just a royal pain, thats why the boat i have now is named "The coulda shoulda woulda") So just make sure you dot your legal i's and cross your paper-work t's before you go sinking a lot of money into the project just to find the friendly people down at your local registry shaking their head when you ask them for a registration number... otherwise you may end up with a reeeaaalllyyy neat lawn ornament. I dont mean to come off like a negative nancy, i would just hate to see someone make the mistakes I've already made :oops:

It almost looks like Basshound in that pic... I'll look more into later and see if I can come up with anything

DryFlyRy said:
A quick note on the title... I know MASS is a pain in the bum about titles and registration and sales tax and bills of sales.... they will even require you to register a canoe if you mount a trolling motor on it... :evil: also I know, at least for mass... if your boat doesnt have a 12 digit Hull Identification number on it (typically before 1972) then you have to have an epo assign one to it before you can even start TRYING to get a title for it (i know all this from experience from another boat i was going to fix up and it is just a royal pain, thats why the boat i have now is named "The coulda shoulda woulda") So just make sure you dot your legal i's and cross your paper-work t's before you go sinking a lot of money into the project just to find the friendly people down at your local registry shaking their head when you ask them for a registration number... otherwise you may end up with a reeeaaalllyyy neat lawn ornament. I dont mean to come off like a negative nancy, i would just hate to see someone make the mistakes I've already made :oops:

I been there also.See if this will help out, if you don't have paper work. https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5285&hilit=title

Luckily titles for boats are worthless in Georgia. There is no HIN number on the boat. In this case the boat is considered older than a 1971. I've seen a few people go through this before and its easier to do in Georgia than in other states. Thanks for the heads up though.

Tonight was a fun night!! The fun task of drilling/cutting out rusted bolts and faulty patch jobs. Hopefully I can finish this, strengthen the transom and float test by monday.

I spent today patching the remaining holes, sanding old patch jobs, and sealing everything up. I ran out of rivets and have to get more in the morning.

100_1123.jpg

The left side is the brilliant patch job by the previous owner I have added a patch on the bottom and will also be putting one on the inside tomorrow

The holes/leaks are all fixed now. After I THOUGHT I got them all I found 3 more when I put some water in it. I ended up patching these cracks with silicone and riviting a molded piece of aluminum to the hull for protection. All three of the cracks were in the channels on the bow
100_1148.jpg

I also had about 4 leaking rivets. a little work with a hammer and some silicone and no more leaks. A little sanding with 220 grit and self etching primer for the bare spots and we are ready for paint.
100_1152.jpg

I managed to get one coat of paint on and I am going to try to get another on tonight or tomorrow.
100_1159.jpg

Latest posts