new here have a few questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surfjetjoe

Reaction score
hey everyone from south florida. I just bought my first ten foot jon boat with an old johnson seahorse 2 stroke. Im new to boats im only 17 i had the engine running great now it starts up and runs for 30 seconds then shuts off i think i need more gas. how much oil should i put in with the gas thanks. what kinda oil?

How many gallons does your gas tank hold?

I have a 3gal tank, and I can put 1 pint of oil mixed in with it for a 50:1 ratio with 3 gallons. I like QuickSilver 2 cycle oil... Im not a big fan of penzoil, but I did have to use it my last tank and it ran just as well...

Read your oil, on the back it will tell you how much of it to put in for the size tank you have... i'm pretty sure you'll still use a 50:1 ratio mixture

I had a similar issue....mine was because I forgot to open the vent on the gas tank, so the engine was starving for fuel. I know it's basic but I missed so I'll throw it out there.

Nussy said:
I had a similar issue....mine was because I forgot to open the vent on the gas tank, so the engine was starving for fuel. I know it's basic but I missed so I'll throw it out there.

same here...check the vent on tank make sure its open while running motor

thanks yall, I have another question my 3hp goes really slow i seen them go much faster my boat weighs like nothing is there a way to make it go faster?

surfjetjoe said:
thanks yall, I have another question my 3hp goes really slow i seen them go much faster my boat weighs like nothing is there a way to make it go faster?

well, a 3hp is a good fishing motor and was not built for speed. If it's running well as you said earlier I wouldn't mess with it. You could give it a tune-up, or it could be just a simple carb adjustment. You really should invest in a manual if you want to tinker with it.

What year is the motor? There are some video's on youtube to give you a better idea how they run/sound. Here are a couple of great runners !...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emDfN4RDpRw&NR=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUwOdjrDkYc&NR=1

X3 on the vent. I do that at least once a season.... lol #-o

also do yourself a favor, pick up one of those oil mix bottles. its got the lines on the side for how many gallons you want to mix at whatever ratio. I got mine for like $3 at the local farm supply store.

Latest posts