New member Semi V project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jgolish

Reaction score
New member here... Just finished my semi V project let me know your input. The frame for the deck is aluminum channel and the deck is treated ply wood.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    71 KB · Views: 2,253
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    71.3 KB · Views: 2,253
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    62.2 KB · Views: 2,253
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    55 KB · Views: 2,253
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    63.6 KB · Views: 2,253
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    47.1 KB · Views: 2,253
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    54.2 KB · Views: 2,253
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    57.4 KB · Views: 2,253
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    56.1 KB · Views: 2,253
Looks nice.....:) Not sure of the treated plywood though. Lots of information here on not using treated wood with aluminum. Haven't use it before personally.

Welcome Aboard !! pull up a bench seat and enjoy the ride.

very nice build !! just in time for summer too.
neat, orderly, well thought out and professional looking.
good job

I have some fresh pressure treated lumber here and
I think I will sandwich a piece of aluminum between
two boards, bolt it up tight, and see what happens
in a few months.

many pros n cons on P/T vs Aluminum - your boat, your call.

Copper is used in the making of pressure treated wood. The copper and aluminum being dissimilar metals will cause the aluminum to corrode.

Johnny said:
I have some fresh pressure treated lumber here and
I think I will sandwich a piece of aluminum between
two boards, bolt it up tight, and see what happens
in a few months.

That would be a cool test. The disapproval of pressure treated wood is almost unanimous on this forum and for good reasons. However, I have read other places that modern (mid 2000's on)pressure treated wood is treated differently and is not corrosive. If you do decide to do a test, start a thread in the boat house sub-forum and then bump it occasionally with results.

according to this, they are still corrosive and still contain copper. They don't have arsenic in them any more is what has basically changed.

But I am no expert, was just reading up on it

https://www.strongtie.com/products/product-use-information/corrosion-information/pressure-treated-wood-faq

What you could do to salvage your otherwise EXCELLENT work ... would be to add an insulating material between the pressure treated wood and the aluminum.

TIP - There is a vinyl tape, 3M brand IIRC, about 1/16" thick used for this purpose, as sold in the big box stores for use in buildings and homes when metal stud framing is used. The tape is applied to the top of the PT wood to insulate it from the metal baseplate, that forms the base of the metal-studded wall. Then the metal wide 'U'-shaped baseplate is put on top of the wood (barrier in-between) and the assembly is ramset or shot into the concrete to hold it in place, or nailed if wooden structure (some zoning codes require PT footers).

This is a typical newer style home construction technique, so you shouldn't have a problem finding the tape, whether 3M brand or not, to so this for you.

In regards to your test ... fugghedaboutit ... sorry :cry: , months won't cut it. Come back and tell us how you made out in a few years, as that's how long it will take .. but by then it will be too late to save your boat.

Insulating the pressure treated wood from the aluminum will not fully protect it. When the wood gets wet the copper will leach out and get on the aluminum.

Sweet build. I like the storage lockers. What size trolling motor are you running? I have a similar boat that I'm building right now. Check it out.

Thanks for the input guys. Does it make a difference that it is "marine grade" plywood? Either way it should last several years and by then I'm sure I will have found things I should have done differently anyway. The trolling motor is a 55# thrust minnkota. I have a Huminbird helix 5 sideimaging w gps on the back and a helix 5 down imaging w gps on the front. The camo paint was the biggest pain the rear of the project about half way through I wanted to quit.

I put it on the water and the stupid starter went out! Long troll back to the marina and a quick trip to te local auto electrical shop for a rebuild and we will try again tomorrow if this rain stops. 1986 30hp evinrude/Johnson. I didn't mention that I bought the boat with the trailer and the motor for $350. Best deal I have ever gotten. I'm usually the one on the losing end of a "good deal"!

Jgolish said:
I put it on the water and the stupid starter went out! Long troll back to the marina and a quick trip to te local auto electrical shop for a rebuild and we will try again tomorrow if this rain stops. 1986 30hp evinrude/Johnson. I didn't mention that I bought the boat with the trailer and the motor for $350. Best deal I have ever gotten. I'm usually the one on the losing end of a "good deal"!

Does your motor not have notches cut in the flywheel to be able to manually rope start it even without a true rope start feature?

Bummer about the starter. Marine grade is what you want if your using wood (I prefer aluminum, to each their own). I think it's a good idea to seal the edges where you cut it though. I agree with you about finding things down the road you would have done different. Keep that in your mind as your building it though. Make it so your able to back up for improvements and fixes. Good luck!

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Insulating the pressure treated wood from the aluminum will not fully protect it. When the wood gets wet the copper will leach out and get on the aluminum.
You know ... that's a really good point that I didn't even think of! It shouldn't be a factor inside a building, since it shouldn't rain in there, so they can use an insulating material with success 'indoors'!

I appreciate you adding that! :D And without making me look like a dummy :oops: , ha!

Latest posts