NEW USER 14 ft sea nymph deep v conversion

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aluminumboatlover

Reaction score
HELLO EVERYONE I am new to this site and new to converting boats as well. hy boat is a 14 foot aluminum sea nymph deep

v with a 6 hp motor. My general plan is to do a conversion very similar to backpains's conversion (turns out we have the

exact same model and year of boat). Our idea is to start out with gluing two pieces of non pressure treated osb (i heard the

copper pits out aluminum) and let them sit overnight. then cut/shape out the osb and fit the indoor/outdoor carpet. then

cut out holes for storage hatches.here are a few things we (my dad and i) are confused about and determining what to do. do we put in a livewell? how many hatches should we install? how do we install bottom support without drilling into the bottom? any feedback very apperciated. (sorry about the wierd spacing in between lines, computer problems).

My first advice would be to pay a little extra for exterior plywood instead of OSB and seal it well after you cut it. That way you won't have to worry about the OSB delaminating.

Pricing goes up and down due to demand.
Call your local Home Depot or Lowe's and get a price for your area. Make sure that they understand that you want exterior plywood, not pressure treated. I called the HD here in town and they "lumber expert" tried to tell me there was no such thing. I convinced him to walk down the plywood aisle while I had him on the phone and he was like, "Hey, what do you know!"
Grrrrr.

$30-35 for 15/32" ACX. That has one nice smooth side (A grade) good for painting or sealing. BCX is cheaper $20-25, but may have some bad spots and crevices for water to sit in. It might be ok if you are sealing and putting carpet over it. I didn't want carpet, so I opted for the A grade and painted it.

thank you guys ya i called a home depot and they said 13 bucks a sheet but i think it was probably pressure treated. also sorry my original post wasent very good but i took about 30 pictures and will make a better more descriptive post with tons of pics soon. also, what is the ballpark to put in a livewell and the pros/cons?

Post up some pictures, most of us like to look at the other members projects. As for the livewell, I have no idea as I didn't put one in my boat.

That price sounds way too low. They quoted you something else.
Like I said, they probably don't know unless you go to a real lumber store and not a big box. Just go by there and look for "Exterior Plywood".

I can't help you on the livewell question.
This is my livewell:
live well.jpg

I'm a firm proponent of Catch and Release.... into hot grease.
8)

For my boat I used exterior grade plywood from Home Depot. I think it set me back about 17$/sheet. For the bracing I used 2x3 lumber. I would have used 2x2s but my local stores only carry them in PT. As far as bracing I screwed my footers onto the benches and had the flooring set on top of those. I cut to fit braces that snugly fit under those and wedged them in between the floor of the boat and the braces. There was enough bench there to screw the braces into the benches as well.

For a livewell I purchased a recirculating pump from Dicks. I think it was called a fish saver pro and used it with a 52qt cooler. I use it to pump in/out by throwing the pump overboard to fill and then tossed the pump in the cooler for recirculation. You just have to be sure in a tournament situation to change the water often and get a good additive so you can add ice throughout the day to keep the water cool.

I am not sure if the pics are still around on the internet but I believe I still have them locally. If you need any info let me know. One piece of advice. BE PATIENT. Take your time, get the info you need, and do it right the first time. The biggest pain in the rear was trying to get it "right" because I rushed to get it on the water. I changed the front deck design twice as well as the bow mount for the trolling motor. I was continually piecing in the electric simply because I wanted to fish and not finish the boat when I had the time. One thing I learned was keep the seat bases centered. The staggered design I started with was nice in theory but it wasn't my favorite feature of my original design. I ended up adding a second base in the center on the back base to move the seat after driving the tiller to the center.

Latest posts