New V Project Question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattmean

Reaction score
New to the site and it seems loaded with knowledgeable people, so here it goes.

I've seen discrepancies about materials to use in conversion projects, mods etc...

So what are they? I have a 12' Aluminum V. Ideally I'd like to use aluminum and keep weight down but that depends on how much time i have at work to use the shop. Otherwise wood is my option. Any suggestions on material types? wood pt or treat it myself? what type of fasteners?

Thanks guys.

Matt

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

You are about to find out that there's a lot of opinion on those subjects. Treated wood is generally not good because it reacts with the aluminum to make long-term problems. Aluminum for structural members and flooring/decking is best but pricey. Some here have used old road signs that they have procured in various ways for both decking and flooring. The signs are really great material if you have a source. Those who can, weld the aluminum structure, braces, etc. Those who can't use stainless screws or aluminum rivets.

If you use wood - and many do, it needs to be treated or water proofed. I can't remember specifically which product it is, I think marine urethane. One of the guys here knows this stuff and will no doubt add to this. I've seen some use fiberglass to completely protect their wooden materials. My brother bought a new Crestliner in 2002 and the materials were treated plywood with the carpet stapled to it. As the plywood was wrapped with carpet, maybe the company figures this prevents the degrading of the aluminum. There are many ways to go depending on your budget. Use the search function, there's lots to learn here. Good luck and let's have some pics.

Thanks a lot. Yea I am going to look into alluminum if possible, the company I work with has a shop, with all kinds of welding equipment, so Im going to see if we have extra material, etc. Im lookin forward to posting some update photos.

I did my decking with rectangular aluminum tubing that I picked up for dirt cheap at a scrap yard. Might be worth looking into, if there are any in your area. I fastened everything with ss self tapping screws and aluminum rivets. I used marine grade plywood ($$) and sealed it with Cabot Spar Urethane. The guys on here said that regular untreated plywood sealed with something like Thompsons Waterseal only lasts 3 or 4 years. So its all in how much money you want to spend.

after reading more and more amongst these forums, i think I will opt for a wood setup. when the basework for the frame is installed, do most people use self taping type screw with marine goop? or sealant?

or some people simple make it a "snug" fit?

Thanks

Yep, opinions vary. Perhaps you should explain what you are going to do with the boat, where and how it's getting transported? What's moving it? What type fishing, river, lake? Trolling, anchored? C+R or livewell plans?

Wood is heavy and just get heavier the longer it's in the boat. You will double the weight of the hull with wood, possibly limiting you loading capacity if it's an older hull. Weight takes power and more fuel to run. If it's too heavy it won't plane out well and if you portage through shallows it's well worth the extra initial cost of aluminum.

Lots to think about.

Jamie

OK, it's a 12' Semi V, in awesome condition, not leaks, and pretty good transom.

I'd say the boat is maybe 80lbs now, tops.

I have a pickup, I can put it in my bed or trailer, or even use my roof rack if i wanted too. Transportation is easy. The boat is light enough where me and my Father who's 70 can walk it an easy 1000 ft to the reservoir we goto. I fish lakes reservoirs & mainly.

Heres the boat * photo isn't of mine. I just have been forgetful every time I'm home. Its the same model but mines in a little better shape.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

My Goals are for a small front casting deck, 2 pedestal seats (there is already 2 swivel fold downs but there are old, (90's)). Maybe a small live well or just a storage compartment or two. Nothing crazy. I don't plan to deck the entire boat. I want to push that "Grip It" type paint on the inside too. The Decking and bench I will treat and carpet.

I have a trolling motor and a small outboard which pushes that little thing more than enough.

So my main focus is the best practice used to affix the framing of the casting deck. I've seen ppl just screw it in, and other seemed to just have a very snug fit. I'm up in there as to what works best.

Thanks for any input

Latest posts