No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Popeye

Reaction score
Launched about 4:20 this morning and headed SE. Stopped in 50 FOW and pointed the boat East. Set the Down rigger with a lighted J-Plug on the SWR and a pair of glow flies for the Dipseys. Marked a lot of bait and a few bigger marks but nothing was biting. Dawn came and I put a Monkey puke spoon on the SWR, a green fly on one of the Dipseys and pulled the other. Put my full core out with a green Dolphin. Saw 3 charter boats working 65-70 FOW so I figured they must be marking fish. Trolled between 65 and 75 FOW with nothing to show for it. Got as far South as 42.18 and turned West. Crossed the 70 foot mark at 8:00 am and the SWR went off. While I was battling the fish I was trying to maintain a straight heading but did make some pretty good swings. When I straightened the boat out I thought the drag on my full core was pulling but figured it was because of the erratic turns. Once I landed the 8.5 lb King from the SWR I turned to the Full core. I retrieved my Walleye board and noticed there was some tugging on the other end. Pulled that in and found a 5.5 lb Brown. Decided I was pulling lines at 9:00 so I headed towards the harbor. As I was pulling my second line the SWR went off again but whatever it was got off after a very brief (and half-hearted) struggle.

As I throttled down at the harbor mouth for the no wake zone I saw a kid in a rigid hull zodiac near the swimming area waving at me. I went over and he asked for a tow to the yacht club. He tossed me a line which I tied off and towed him to over. As we got closer another identical zodiac was helping the little trainer sail boats came over and took over. I released the line and soon they got him restarted. Probably hit the kill switch for as long as it took to start him up. That was my good deed for the day. I got punished as I tied up to the dock. A pleasure boater pulled up to the same ramp and stopped. Stopped right in the middle to prepare his boat for launch. I figured he would be backing in by the time I got my truck back so I walked to my truck. When I got to the ramp he was still screwing around putting kids in the boat, taking off the transom saver and boat straps one handed because he was shooting the bull with someone on the cell phone. I waited 2 minutes and decided it wasn’t worth it so I backed down to a different ramp, walked past dude and his pleasure craft to get my boat. I motored over to the other ramp and loaded my boat, pulled it up, removed the drain plug pulled the boat up out of the way and put on my transom saver and boat straps and put my gear in my truck. As I was driving away, he started backing down the ramp. I hope his motor doesn’t start. Non fishermen boaters pizz me off. I know they have every right to be there too, but it doesn't change my feelings.

The Crack of Dawn
normal_Jul_10_2008004.JPG

This made it worth it
normal_Jul_10_2008008.JPG

The catch, 2 for 3
10_JUL_08002_%28600_x_450%29.jpg

Awesome report

I thought you carried a loaded flare gun for moving non-fishing boats out of your way? :D

Latest posts