Noticed a biological issue with LM Bass in one area...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frogman Ladue

Reaction score
I've got a somewhat local county park reserve near me that has a number of stocked ponds in the reserve. I'm noticing injuries on 9 out of 10 LM Bass were pulling out. They're displaying damage to the lips, which can range from bloody scraped up lip tips to bloodied lower jaws that are split up to 1.5" from the tip of thier mouths. I should have grabbed some pics. Has anyone seen this before?

I've heard the red lips come from feeding on crayfish. Whether it be the crayfish themselves that cause it, or the act of digging around on hard bottom areas hunting them. I have no idea what the splits would be except fish that had been hooked???

Next time out, take a few pics of them. I'd like to see them.

Lots of bass I catch in rocky areas have split or red lower jaws - they are super healthy otherwise so i think it is from crayfish eating and fighting

Ive seen a few split bottom lips in Soouthern WI.. Kinda creepy, they can move one side down and the other side up. I assumed it was from hooking way to hard or feeding in rocks. They can get pretty nasty when they hit prey in rocks.

Latest posts