Ok, i have a trolling motor. Now What???

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddupre

Reaction score
I tried this in the electrical forum but i had no bites. Please help. THANK YOU!

I had a trolling motor given to me and now i need to know what to do to get the thing running. I have a 1999 Motorguide 67lbs Brute. It is a bowmount with foot control. It has a switch on the foot control in which you can change between 12v and 24v. what do i need. What battery, i really want to buy 1 battery not 2. How long will it run, on average. what kind of extras i need to charge it, circuit breakers, etc. As you can see i am clueless.

Thanks in advance

You'll probably want a 50 amp breaker hooked in close to your battery. Keep the switch on 12V unless you decide to run a 24V system. You can get and on-board charger for around $100 or less (Cabela's or Bass Pro). You mount it in your boat, hook it to your battery and after a hard day fishing, you just have to plug the charger into an outlet and it'll charge the battery. Or, you can get a portable charger that you keep at home (or wherever), plug it into and outlet and then hook to your battery. You'll want a deep cycle battery and I would guess with a fully charged bigger size battery (29 or so) you would get 4-5 hours of use before it was drained. Hope this helps a little.

Latest posts