Operation REVIVE!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was a steal at $70, for the seller of course. You will spend more time and money on this with little return investment compared to just buying a new 12 foot jon boat ($800 at most). Spend less time wishin and more time fishin.

Does anyone in this forum have anything supportive to say? Ok y'all, I understand and appeciate your comments about ditching the boat and buying a new one, but fact is I just spent $3.99 for sand paper and already hit the entire outside and bottom of the boat. It looks great and only need minor repairs to a few pin hole leaks. I know I have to water check it, but these are the pin holes that are visible with light. I have prepped all rivits to be sealed with flux/super alloy 5. Next thing ya know, I'll be fishing so how bout at least 1 person try to be supportive on here? If you're gonna say ditch the boat don't comment. Post pics soon.

AF1Sgt said:
Does anyone in this forum have anything supportive to say? Ok y'all, I understand and appeciate your comments about ditching the boat and buying a new one, but fact is I just spent $3.99 for sand paper and already hit the entire outside and bottom of the boat. It looks great and only need minor repairs to a few pin hole leaks. I know I have to water check it, but these are the pin holes that are visible with light. I have prepped all rivits to be sealed with flux/super alloy 5. Next thing ya know, I'll be fishing so how bout at least 1 person try to be supportive on here? If you're gonna say ditch the boat don't comment. Post pics soon.

Wow AF1Sgt, I think you are taking the comments wrong. I think the responses ( including mine ) were supportive as just looking out for you to re-consider the REVIVE due to the pictures you posted. Many of us have seen or been involved similar projects only to wish we opted for a different ride. Good luck with your build...

Go for it! Af1Sgt Prove us wrong and enjoy the experience. Got the whole winter to mess with it, make sure you take pictures.
Everyone works to their own level. Pick your battles. My favorite quote of all time. Had it hanging over my desk at work.

Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.

Tim

Thank you Tim. You're right, I have the whole winter and am in no rush. Like I said in a previous post, this project is more for my resilience than anything. I enjoyed Christmas with wife and kids and went fishing today. Managed to find time to install 50 rivets with marine epoxy sealant. Will post pics within a day or two so anyone interested can see progress. I plan on leak checking within the next few days also, but have a few more visible holes to repair first. Check back in a month or so and you will see a floating leak free boat. After that day, I will customize it with carpet, compartments, seats, rod holders, etc. It will feel good fishing in it in spring knowing I only spent $70 for the boat ($50 for boat+$20 delivery), $3.99 sanding paper and today $5.49 marine epoxy and about $6.50 on aluminum rivets. My plan is to stay under $240 for boat "maintenance". No limit set for additions such as trolling motor, batteries, anchors, wood, carpets, etc... Anyway Tim, thank you and happy holidays brother.

v/r

Did you use all aluminum rivets? If not apply a little of the sealant to the hole in the rivet. This will keep the steel nail from rusting

Excellent point so I had to go check. I used Arrow RMA 3/16lp Aluminum rivets. Nothing on the pack says steel so I looked online and for the material it just says aluminum. It makes sense the nail would be steel. Now to be safe, I'll go cover them with the epoxy sealant. I do not want to worry about any leaks or seaps come spring or even worse, corrosion. Thanks a ton!

I say go for it. Who cares if it takes 2 years and way more money than its worth in the end? Once you get it done you will be able to look back and see what you were able to accomplish with your two (maybe a few friends to help) hands. I love seeing a diamond in the rough. Your boat will mean 10 times more to you than any dollar amount if you "revive" it.

I've seen and heard it said many times, it's not the destination as much as the journey.
Most of the things we do in our lives are never done as we have a tendency to rethink them later.
As I always say , life is to short to look back and wonder "what if?"
Having said all that, I say give it hell and don't look back.
Good luck with your build 8)

I took the last couple weeks off and enjoyed Christmas and new years with family. I leaked checked the boat and patched the holes with marine epoxy and the transom area with all-purpose 3m putty. All holes are sealed so soon I'll sand/prime and paint then begin building the framework for the inside. Here are a few pics from yesterday

Attachments

• IMG_3588.jpg
    IMG_3588.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 976
  • IMG_3648.JPG
    IMG_3648.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 976
  • IMG_3653.JPG
    IMG_3653.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 976
  • IMG_3662.jpg
    IMG_3662.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 976
  • IMG_3661.jpg
    IMG_3661.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 976
  • IMG_3658.jpg
    IMG_3658.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 976
  • IMG_3654.jpg
    IMG_3654.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 975
  • IMG_3656.jpg
    IMG_3656.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 975
  • IMG_3659.jpg
    IMG_3659.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 975
AF1SGT,

Congrats on your purchase, from a fellow Virginian. I live in the Suffolk area. I wish I would have found a deal like this. I bought a tin brand new, then bought a trailer about 8 months ago. No outboard, only using a 55# TM. I love it, but don't have the funds right now to fix it up like I want.

I know you have ALOT of work to do, but you will love it and appreciate it more in the end. Yes, in Virginia all you need is a "bill of sale" for a new title and registration, but like someone else said on here, I wouldn't register it just yet. Wait until it is completely seaworthy. I am supporting you and have subscribed to this thread to see how it comes out. Good Luck! Can't wait to see the final product.

Rob

Hey Rob,
I appreciate the note. I sanded it today after I posted these pics. Looks nice and clean now. Next step is to add a few temporary cross members for structural support and take it to the river here on Ft Belvoir. I patched all the holes found during the leak check at my house so once it see it floats with little to no leaks, I'll prime and paint the inside/hull then add some seats, a deck, lights, etc. I agree I'll love it more when it's done. I don't plan on getting an outboard either and just going with a 55-80#TM like you. I think most who told me to get a new boat, although had good intentions, overlooked me saying this project is more for my resilience than anything. Most people say it will cost too much, it will take too much time, mind as well just buy a new boat, etc. They don't seem to consider I'm the type of person that likes to work on projects to (a) get my mind off work "military stuff" (b) as a hobby (c) turn "junk" into operational/functional items. Besides, I like to fish and casting from the bank/pier here at Ft Belvoir sucks. So far I've spent less than $100 and will finish it with less than $250 total. Not counting price of battery/TM, and extras. The $250 is strictly boat repairs, decking, carpet, paint, etc. This tin won't be out more than a couple hundred yards from the bank anyway. Just far enough to get me out where the depth is 40-50ft to snatch some bigger cats. Hey Rob, I appreciate the support brother. Talk with you soon.

v/r
Bruce

I love this. Keep on working. I spent 300 on an aluminum v hull that was falling apart (not quite that bad) and a flat utility trailer that I'm rebuilding for a boat. With knowing how I love to tinker with things, I'm right with you on this!!

Can't wait to see it!

found time to paint the hull today after sanding and replacing rivits and sealing with epoxy a couple weeks ago. I patched the holes in transom with 3M bondo. The paint is bottom side anti-fouling marine hull paint. I'll paint the inside soon add a deck, carpet, storage and what not. Stay tuned for more pics soon.

This is how she looks after the 1st coat...

Attachments

• IMG_3781.jpg
    IMG_3781.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 924
  • IMG_3784.jpg
    IMG_3784.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 924
  • IMG_3782.jpg
    IMG_3782.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 924
  • IMG_3785.jpg
    IMG_3785.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 924
  • IMG_3786.JPG
    IMG_3786.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 924
  • IMG_3783.JPG
    IMG_3783.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 924
  • IMG_3779.jpg
    IMG_3779.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 924
  • IMG_3778.jpg
    IMG_3778.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 924
Donahue21 said:
Project is coming right along =D> ! The paint gives it a huge face lift. Did you use a spray gun or just brush it on?
I used a roller for large areas and brush for corners and such. I'm sure it would look much better with a spray gun but I'm trying to keep this project cheap as possible. Thanks