Opinions on "bedliner"

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bass-snatcher

Reaction score
I'm new to the forum and see where lots of people are using bedliner in their boats.

I'd like to install it myself and would like to know the best brand to brush-on? Rust-Oleum? Herculiner? Others?

Thanks in advance!

I used Herculiner on the trailer. I wouldn't want it in my boat - it's too rough for my taste.

I used Tuff-Coat on the inside. Was very happy with it.

I bought the RustOleum at my local WalMart and followed the instructions. Truthfully, after 2-3 coats it just looks like regular paint with chunks in it. Doesn't seem rubbery like the sprayed-in stuff. Does anybody else have experiences with the brush-ons? Maybe the sprayed-in stuff is that much better?

Personally I wouldn't want the inside of my boat to be black. Seems like you would get roasted in the summer sun.

I have used Herculiner before on various non boat related projects and it works good for some things but not for anything that will be out in the sun. It fades and peels rather quickly. I did the inside floor and bumpers with it on an old Blazer once and the inside worked great but the outside faded and started peeling in less than a year.

I used RustOleum brush on and painted over it with RustOleum oil base. have yet to finish my boat and have extended water time, but I think it's going to be fine and much cheaper than other options. I used it to protect the bottom of the boat from any lead weights, hooks and stuff that may fall down there and rust or cause chemical reaction that could damage the hull seeing how most my fishing is done in salt water.

Herc all the way. Get the roll kit. I could not be happier than I am with mine. Holding up very well.

So people seem to be equally split between: Herculiner, Tuff Coat, and RustOleum.

Herculiner and Tuff Coat are both $80-90 for a gallon. RustOleum is $45. Downside is that with the RustOleum you can only buy the gallons in black. The work-around is that you can buy the spray cans in a number of colors and then touch up over the black.

I talked to a local Linex installer and he wanted $650 to prep and spray paint the inside of my boat. $850 if I wanted it in a color besides black. So obviously the sprayed stuff is a LOT more expensive. He wouldn't let me prep it.

Are there any other options? Has anybody used both the Tuff Coat and RustOleum berliners? I'd sure like to know how they compare….

I used RustOLeum spray cans. It leaves a slightly ruff surface that is Not Slippery when wet. I spent a lot of prep time and thoroughly washed the boat out before application. It had 2 small places where it came off (Dime Size), a clean off an respray and it's like new. This has heald up for 3 Seasons so far with no problems. Good Prep Work ends in a good finish.

i have herculiner on the bottom of my tin and its been holding up well i thought it was fading but a broom and soap/water and it looks new again its been about a year since its been on there holding up fine you can paint it as well from what i have read from other people

Grizzly Grip. It's available in a lot of different colors as well as a course or fine grit. I used the fine and have been very happy with it. It's held up real well for three seasons of crabbing and fishing so far.

I got the fine texture Grizzly Grip and it doesn't have a lot of texture. It's fine on bare feet. If you want something more non skid I would go with the coarse.

Latest posts