Ouachita 16DSV mod starting...update 4/30/13

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those floors are crazy awesome! Best I have seen yet. I love the look. And the split bench nice touch there. How did you cut bench? I dont think my Ouachita seats are riveted. But I have a simlar idea in mind. KUDOS!

The tops of the benches on mine are riveted to the sides of the bench. I just drilled out the rivets after I got it marked up for the cuts, took off the bench top and used a reciprocating saw for the cuts in the bench sides. I actually used a Dremel Tools vibrating cutter to deep-score the lines on the bench top and then snapped it off clean like breaking glass. A little file work cleaned it right up.

Got a good bit done today. The middle section is completed, and the front is designed and the sub-frame is under way. I'm sti debating on running the front v-shaped section boards linear like the rest, or running a king board and angling the rest. Decisions, decisions! #-o :mrgreen:

Anyway...here a couple more pix...(cell phone :roll: )

Attachments

• Section2completed, side view.jpg
    Section2completed, side view.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 1,685
  • Section2completed.jpg
    Section2completed.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 1,685
Looks nice! Maybe I missed it but how are you attaching the floor to the ribs? Are you using screws or rivets? In one picture, I noticed you had some kind of stringer that the cypress boards are run on. Can you post a pic of how you have the planks put together?

Thanks.

The floors are resting on 1 x 1 x 1/8" angle aluminum angle riveted into the faces of the benches. The individual boards are screwed to two 1"x 2" strip running across the underside of each floor sections. The Cypress boards are each about 30" long between the benches. I thought I might need a center brace running down to the floor, but the boards have almost zero deflection with my full weight on them, and I run about 240. The floor sections are not fastened into the boat an any fashion at present, as I wanted them removable for storing out of the elements when the boat is not in use. I am investigating some sort of latching mechanism to lock them down while underway, trailering, or (God forbid!) it ever gets swamped. Maybe something as simple as stainless barrel bolts, or something similar, stationed at each corner.

You did a beautiful job on the floor, I would like to see pictures of the under structure if I may, I am no carpenter, but I know nice work when I see it, I also sent you a pm

I am making good progress on the front section, but have to do a slight design "modification" for the tapered edges. I'll try to get some pictures in a couple of days, and also show the support mechanisms for the panels.

Only one moor board to buy! [-o<

More pictures needed that are not thumbnail size. I'd like to see how the blue beauty is progressing.

Here's a phone pic of the front section. I'll post real pictures when I get home after work... :mrgreen:

It might be a week or so before I can get back to work on it though, my wife is having back surgery on Wednesday. [-o<

Attachments

• FrontFloorAssembled.jpg
    FrontFloorAssembled.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 1,432
  • FrontFloorFrame.jpg
    FrontFloorFrame.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 1,432
  • FrontFloorFrame2.jpg
    FrontFloorFrame2.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 1,432
Thanks guys! I actually got back from the hospital today (wife's surgery went well, BTW) in time to put the 1st coat of spar on the front section. the color stain is MinWax Ipwick Pine. Along with the spar urethane, it gives the wood a nice warm tone similar to the well aged Pickwick pine paneling that was in my dad's den back home.

Thanks for the well wishes, guys. She came home form the hospital today.

I did manage to get the final coat of spar on the front section yesterday, so all that's left on it is the reassembly. I'll post some pix of the completed floors in the boat as soon as the weather clears, which might be a couple of days the way the weatherman is talking.

Latest posts