Outboard problems

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tylertamburo

Reaction score
So I took my 69 evinrude out for the first time since I bought it and when I went to open up the throttle to get on plane it just revs super high and it's like the prop isn't even spinning. It will move at a slow idle fine and when I test it out of water the prop spins fine. Could anybody help me out with this one

How do I do the test for that...I don't understand when people explain the marks and stuff...if you could could you use pictures

it sounds like a spun hub to me also the way you test it is if it turns at slow speed but under load it just revs
you have a spun hub

That's how I know it is bad also. If it will idle and move the boat, but when you gibe it more throttle and the engine revs up but the boat doesn't move, the prop shaft and hub are spinning inside of the prop. That means the hub is no good.

Like was said, sounds like it's spun. However, if you wanna make a mark do something like this...

b6a26b5d.jpg
scratch.jpg

I am definitely NOT an educated person on old motors but I would think a motor that old would have a shear pin. If it does and it is slipping under power you may have a stripped out drive shaft spline or a lower unit bearing that has given up causing the the prop drive shaft to slip on a gear under pressure. Adam Webb

I had the same problem with my 15 horse evinrude at the end of last season. All i did was have my prop sent off and rebuilt came back looking brand new for $70 i believe. So yes you can have that prop rebuilt or you can buy a new one for it doesn't matter how old it is. Hope this helps. Goodluck

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=349376#p349376 said:
WebbsWelding » 19 Apr 2014, 22:44[/url]"]I am definitely NOT an educated person on old motors but I would think a motor that old would have a shear pin. If it does and it is slipping under power you may have a stripped out drive shaft spline or a lower unit bearing that has given up causing the the prop drive shaft to slip on a gear under pressure. Adam Webb

I thought the same thing.

I had the same thing happen to me with my '57 Evinrude 18 hp outboard. Took it to the prop shop here locally and within minutes he fixed it and $40 it is like new again.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=349322#p349322 said:
Tylertamburo » Yesterday, 11:17[/url]"]So I took my 69 evinrude out for the first time since I bought it and when I went to open up the throttle to get on plane it just revs super high and it's like the prop isn't even spinning. It will move at a slow idle fine and when I test it out of water the prop spins fine. Could anybody help me out with this one
I would also warn against running it out of water unless you plan to replace the impeller anyways because it won't take too much running dry to ruin the impeller.

The '69 up to at least a 20hp (as far as I checked) does have a shear pin. Regardless of whether it is broke it would be smart to get an extra and keep it in the boat.
The only thing worse than limping back to the dock using a trolling motor is trying to limp back when the waves be crashing.

Ok so I checked and it does have a shear pin but it's not broken...is this good news or bad when it comes to how tough it's gonna be to repair

If you put the motor in gear (with it not running of course) and grab the prop if it spins freely meaning that the motor doesn't turn over when trying to spin it by hand then you need to have a new bushing put in the prop it self. you can watch the nut also and it won't spin when the prop does. If you can feel the motor try to turn over then it is something else.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=349454#p349454 said:
Tylertamburo » Today, 15:46[/url]"]Ok so I checked and it does have a shear pin but it's not broken...is this good news or bad when it comes to how tough it's gonna be to repair

Are you sure it's a shear pin? It may be a keeper pin. Is it inline with the propshaft or installed like a Tee at a 90 degree angle? If it is a Tee it is not a shear pin but a drive pin.

You have a spun hub, I would bet on it. You may not be able to spin it by hand; even a spun hub can be difficult to move by hand. If you do try this, ratchet strap the flywheel down so the engine will not turn over while you try to spin the prop on the hub. Take it to a prop shop and ask them to check it, shouldn't cost any thing to just check and see if it is spun. If it is spun they can also fix it for ya.

You can put a mark on it like SumDumGuy said and check it that way also; that would be the surest test at home.

Look at this parts breakdown:
https://www.crowleymarine.com/johnson-evinrude/parts/39882.cfm
Item 48 is a drive pin, it keeps the hub in track with the propshaft, it is not a shear pin; it's stainless steel. You will also notice that there is no shear pin on the propshaft.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=349454#p349454 said:
Tylertamburo » Yesterday, 15:46[/url]"]Ok so I checked and it does have a shear pin but it's not broken...is this good news or bad when it comes to how tough it's gonna be to repair
If money is a factor, it's gonna be worse if it's a spun hub vs a shear pin. :shock:

I think rat may be right. I'll go out and get some pictures for you guys so I can be 100% sure and I'll also go out and do the test

Latest posts