Over heating maybe?? Need Help....

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muskiehunting

Reaction score
I have a 2001 Yamaha 4 stroke, my buddy use it and said started to run like junk and noticed it wasn't shooting water out the back... Now im afraid too use it.. What could I check? What could be wrong? Over heated it?

Check "pee hole" and intakes for obstructions (mud). Blow them out with air or clean with a pipe cleaner. Crank up on the water hose for a few seconds to see if it pees.
If not, Pull the lower unit & check the water pump. If shot, replace.
If good, check the thermostat and make sure it is not stuck.

The warning light came and and he shut it off. Was hot for a very long time. I hope just something got clogged up there. thanks guys

If the engine got hot then it is more than likely the water pump. However depending on how hot it got the damage may already be done.

Just a few bucks. Unlike a car, which has an external water pump that must be replaced whole, the outboard water pump is in the top of the gearcase, and comes apart, allowing you to replace the only part that really ever dies - the rubber impeller. Fairly simple job too. Go ahead and pull it, and it should be pretty evident as to whether it is the problem or not.

Latest posts