Paint? (already used search)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brittonp83

Reaction score
So I've used the search and found a TON of reading. I know that I'll buy by the gallon and just roll it on. A few of you guys recommend "deck and porch" or acrylic paint, but if I'm just buying it by the gallon at Lowe's or HD is the tintable exterior house paint good enough. I saw a few recommendations for Rustoliem by the gallon, but the ones I found were either black or white and that was pretty much it. I'd like an olive drab or light tan. Matte, flat whatever, just something that'll go on easy, last a good few years and look decent.

Thanks,
Britton

Duralux marine coating; dead grass green (actually looks brown). They make other colors also.
I rolled it on a tracker GRIZZLEY, and am pleased with it.

Awesome, where'd ya get it? I'm in Raleigh NC and would prefer to go pick it up at a store so I can paint this weekend.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=362611#p362611 said:
brittonp83 » Today, 14:28[/url]"]Awesome, where'd ya get it? I'm in Raleigh NC and would prefer to go pick it up at a store so I can paint this weekend.
I'm looking at the receipt right now.
I ordered it online from - BOTTOMPAINTSTORE.com I just went on their website, and it is still available.
Type "duralux paint" in search: It looks like some home depots also sell it.
Might not help you out for this weekend though.

Bottom paint store has it on sale for $87.99 a gal., + free shipping. (it's a lot cheaper at home depot)

I'm searching and editing, and the site wont let me edit anymore.
This product is available from home depot> online only.001.JPG
This is what the boat looks like with the "dead grass green" duralux paint.

I did a lot of searching online yesterday after you recommended it to me. They make a color called "Aluminum Boat Green" that's supposed to be specifically for jon boats. Adheres to bare aluminum and all. If they had it in stock on a shelf within a hundred miles I would have thrown money at somebody yesterday, but I couldn't find it. I did find one paint store down in Dunn that used to stock it. He remembered it well and had several good recommendations for other products that he had in stock. Maybe Saturday morning I'll ride down and see him. The alternatives he suggested where exterior house paints, but he said they were some of the toughest one's he'd seen. I may still just order the Duralux from HD.

Your boat looks great!

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=362683#p362683 said:
brittonp83 » 08 Aug 2014, 08:05[/url]"]I did a lot of searching online yesterday after you recommended it to me. They make a color called "Aluminum Boat Green" that's supposed to be specifically for jon boats. Adheres to bare aluminum and all. If they had it in stock on a shelf within a hundred miles I would have thrown money at somebody yesterday, but I couldn't find it. I did find one paint store down in Dunn that used to stock it. He remembered it well and had several good recommendations for other products that he had in stock. Maybe Saturday morning I'll ride down and see him. The alternatives he suggested where exterior house paints, but he said they were some of the toughest one's he'd seen. I may still just order the Duralux from HD.

Your boat looks great!

I recently bought the Duralux Aluminum boat paint from HD as well after hemming and hawing over paints for a long while. I will be getting my first coat on this weekend I hope, I'll post some pictures so you can see it.

Good deal, thanks and I look forward to seeing those pics!

While looking at getting a bigger boat I never imagined that I'd be putting such great effort into picking paint! I've still got to Gluvit the inside seams, paint the interior, frame and build the casting decks, then carpet them. The interior carpet is a light grey so I think I'll try to match that color with the interior paint, but it'll certainly be cheaper rattle cans for a quick job!

Barefoot I see your argument. That was the train of thought I had been working on when I posted and I may still go that route. Depends on how impatient I get this weekend.

Option...

try a search for mixing Rustoleum.... specifically flat white and rusty metal primer (red in color). it can be mixed to an "OD green."

SumDumGuy, I searched and google didn't come up with a whole lot of specifics, but I think I can figure it out. I don't see the trouble in picking up a few quarts to see if I can get the color decently. A couple of the sites and posts that I did find talked about using a hardener. Is a hardener required for painting with enamel?

Sorry I steered you wrong on the paint colors (been using too much white lately).

This is the formula off another site...
1 quart Hunter Green Gloss Rustoleum
1 quart Rusty Metal Red Primer Rustoleum
10% Acetone as thinner
Mix well

Of course you will want to adjust the mix for the desired color. I ended up thinning with about 25% acetone and shot it with a cheap harbor freight power sprayer. The sprayer worked well, it was cheap with the coupon and the paint flashed remarkably fast. :lol:

Scroll down this link a little and you can see the mix results.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/painting-my-jeep-od-green-25270/

I have not found that a hardener is needed.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=362687#p362687 said:
brittonp83 » 08 Aug 2014, 08:24[/url]"]Good deal, thanks and I look forward to seeing those pics!

While looking at getting a bigger boat I never imagined that I'd be putting such great effort into picking paint! I've still got to Gluvit the inside seams, paint the interior, frame and build the casting decks, then carpet them. The interior carpet is a light grey so I think I'll try to match that color with the interior paint, but it'll certainly be cheaper rattle cans for a quick job!

Just an update, the humidity shot up today and will probably stay up until after it rains Tuesday, and Wednesday, so I don't foresee myself getting the paint done until later in the week. Unfortunately there will be no pictures to show until then. :cry:

Well after a lot more thought than necessary, I went with 30 yr house paint, a flat enamel in a drab color. I sanded and used a self etching primer. The first coat of paint came out looking like a split pea soup color, but the second is looking a lot better. I knew I couldn't match the color and sheen of the Steelflex so I went a good bit away from it. In the end it came down to the fact that it's just a fishing boat and with this gallon I can finish the outside and do the whole inside cheaper than with the Duralux.

The pics are from just after the second coat.
24cgprc.jpg

2qvta85.jpg

2ywv1nr.jpg

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=363544#p363544 said:
brittonp83 » 17 Aug 2014, 09:51[/url]"]Well after a lot more thought than necessary, I went with 30 yr house paint, a flat enamel in a drab color. I sanded and used a self etching primer. The first coat of paint came out looking like a split pea soup color, but the second is looking a lot better. I knew I couldn't match the color and sheen of the Steelflex so I went a good bit away from it. In the end it came down to the fact that it's just a fishing boat and with this gallon I can finish the outside and do the whole inside cheaper than with the Duralux.

The pics are from just after the second coat.
24cgprc.jpg

2qvta85.jpg

2ywv1nr.jpg

Looks good man! I was just checking out the Valspar last night while at Lowes. By the way I started using the Duralux, and the dried coat is really nice when it adheres properly. Feels very strong and durable. I screwed up a bit applying my Zinc Chromate so I had an issue with it sticking on some parts of the boat I started painting, so I had to stop and do some sanding/scraping:

mKWTDia.jpg

You can see in the bottom left where the Duralux actually stuck and hardened that it is a pretty solid coat, and nice color. I'll be fixing my mess all day today. I am pretty sure that I didn't let the ZC dry long enough before applying the paint, and I also applied the ZC too fast after rinsing the acid off the boat. I wiped it dry, but that was still probably too soon. I feel shame. :oops:

Ail,

Which duralux are you using?

If I am not mistaken their Aluminum boat green don't need primer you might want to double check that.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=363563#p363563 said:
spcamno » 17 Aug 2014, 13:48[/url]"]Ail,

Which duralux are you using?

If I am not mistaken their Aluminum boat green don't need primer you might want to double check that.

It indeed does not need any primer, but I was trying to go above and beyond to get the best adhesion possible. I de-greased, phosphoric acid washed, washed, dried, then sprayed it with ZC. I messed up somewhere between the acid wash and the ZC.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=363570#p363570 said:
brittonp83 » 17 Aug 2014, 16:21[/url]"]That Duralux looks like it'll turn out nice, almost factory!

I hope so, bummed out at the progress this weekend. Was hoping to have both coats on.

Edit: By the way did you have any issue with primer/paint sticking to the rivets? It seems like nothing wants to stick to them. If I scuff sand them at all the primer comes right off.

Latest posts