Painting

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Begeti

Reaction score
I just put on my first coat of Parker's duck boat paint and was wonder what everyone suggests regarding sanding. I rolled and tipped the paint so I was going to do a quick sanding tomorrow, but wanted see if I was just wasting my time. Thanks!

I am going to hit mine with one of those sanding sponges so I can keep it wet.

Just my preference though to help a little better adhesion.

Never heard of that. I don't know too much about painting/sanding. Is that something I can pick up at one if the big box hardware stores? I have some 320 grit sandpaper I planned to use.

Mine is on pretty thick, I thought maybe I'd just go around it with a fine tooth come and just look for the small imperfections.

I wouldn't use 320 grit that's a little to rough. Go to any hardware, home improvement, auto supply and get some 800 grit wet/dry sandpaper that can be used for wet sanding. Then get you a bucket of water put just a little bit of Dawn dishwashing liquid soap in it. Don't suds it up by spraying the water in on the soap but add the soap and stir with your hand. Keep the garden hose handy to rinse and wet the surface as you go. Now start out by wetting the surface your going to sand and dip the paper in the bucket of soap/water mixture and proceed to start "wet sanding". Of course start at the top and work your way down and rinse every so often as you go. Also be careful on corners and edges because paint is thinner there and you can sand it completely off if you're not careful. Once your done sanding then give it a good rinsing and wipe down and after it dries you can apply your next coat of primer or paint. If you really want to put a slick finish on your final coat use some 2000 grit paper and do a finish sand with the same wet process on your last coat of paint.

So after I do my final sand how do I get that dry scratched look to go away?

If you're doing a final sand with 2000 grit or even finer a 4000 grit paper there should not be any sanding marks if you're doing a wet sanding with the dish soap solution and water hose rinsing. I should have mentioned to be sure and use a back and forth sanding motion when doing this and not a circular motion which can cause swirl marks and I apologize. But if you can still see some sanding marks after the 2000 grit you should be able to take automobile wax and polish out the finish.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=352273#p352273 said:
WVfishnfool » Today, 1:19 pm[/url]"]If you're doing a final sand with 2000 grit or even finer a 4000 grit paper there should not be any sanding marks if you're doing a wet sanding with the dish soap solution and water hose rinsing. I should have mentioned to be sure and use a back and forth sanding motion when doing this and not a circular motion which can cause swirl marks and I apologize. But if you can still see some sanding marks after the 2000 grit you should be able to take automobile wax and polish out the finish.

I'm not sure how well this will work with Parkers Duck Boat Paint. Parkers is meant to finish hard, flat and durable. Mine finished with almost a bit of texture to it. Not sure if that was from the spraying or not though. But mine would be a pain to try and sand. Not sure what you'd get from the high grit sanding or wetsanding? Like I said, parkers is meant to finish extra flat and non-reflective.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=352284#p352284 said:
BigTerp » Today, 15:05[/url]"]
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=352273#p352273 said:
WVfishnfool » Today, 1:19 pm[/url]"]If you're doing a final sand with 2000 grit or even finer a 4000 grit paper there should not be any sanding marks if you're doing a wet sanding with the dish soap solution and water hose rinsing. I should have mentioned to be sure and use a back and forth sanding motion when doing this and not a circular motion which can cause swirl marks and I apologize. But if you can still see some sanding marks after the 2000 grit you should be able to take automobile wax and polish out the finish.

I'm not sure how well this will work with Parkers Duck Boat Paint. Parkers is meant to finish hard, flat and durable. Mine finished with almost a bit of texture to it. Not sure if that was from the spraying or not though. But mine would be a pain to try and sand. Not sure what you'd get from the high grit sanding or wetsanding? Like I said, parkers is meant to finish extra flat and non-reflective.
Didn't realize he was using an extra flat finish paint. Although you can still attain a smooth finish by starting with a rough grit and work your way up to the finer grits (start with 800 finishing with 2000) you're basically doing a whole lot of work to do away with what that paint is supposed to do which is give a non-reflective camo finish. If that's the case and he just wants to knock off some of the roughness I'd just sand it slightly with 600 grit paper and be done with it.

That's what I planned to do, just knock down any mistakes or high areas so it doesn't look like I just threw it all on. I don't need a show room finish, but I don't want it to look sloppy.

Latest posts