Repainting and Removing Layers of Old Paint, Suggestions?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakedavidruiz

Reaction score
I have an old 12-foot V Boat that I'm trying to restore (pictures below), and right now I have to repaint it. Step one is removing all of the flaking paint, which I'm doing with a pressure washer mainly, as well as some 80 grit sanding. Anyways, I was wondering if I could use a paint stripper that doesn't need me to put plastic wrap on it. I was thinking this might help loosen up the more stuck-on bits of the paint, which woumaybe speed up the pressure washing process. Does anyone think that'd work? Or is it just a waste of time and money? Any other suggestions on how I can tackle this easier are also welcome :).
boat1.jpgboat2.jpg

When I did mine, I used a polycarbide wheel like in the picture below. I just chucked it up into my drill.

Screen Shot 2023-07-11 at 11.58.07 AM.png

They're cheap and durable. Two of them ought to take care of what you need.

I avoid chemical strippers when I can. They're messy and can be a pain to deal with. Using the wheel, all you really need is to mask up against the dust.

When I did mine, I used a polycarbide wheel like in the picture below. I just chucked it up into my drill.

View attachment 115581

I avoid chemical strippers when I can. They're messy and can be a pain to deal with. Using the wheel, all you really need is to mask up against the dust.
I think I might have one of those. Appreciate it

View attachment 115581

They make the same type of wheel for 4.5" angle grinders. They work great.

They make the same type of wheel for 4.5" angle grinders. They work great.

Yes, fully understand. The one I pictured is limited to 4500 rpm. The angle grinders I have run at more than double that, so I had to use a drill.

I'd hate for somebody to jump the gun and put one like mine in an angle grinder and get hurt.

Yes, fully understand. The one I pictured is limited to 4500 rpm. The angle grinders I have run at more than double that, so I had to use a drill.

I'd hate for somebody to jump the gun and put one like mine in an angle grinder and get hurt.
The ones made for the angle grinder are made to handle the RPM's.

Wire wheel or fiber wheel. Paint strippers are not very good nowadays. By the time you deal with all that goo and mess and stink, you would have stripped the boat and applied etching primer already.

I've used those wheels too. 10x faster in an angle grinder and you can get an angle grinder cheap at Harbor Freight. Armed with that and a wire wheel in your drill for the tight spots you can strip that bottom in no time at all. I'll never use chemical stripper again. Although a "power stripper" EG: a heat gun does sometimes work pretty darn good. Messier though.

I’ll echo the others on stripping discs. I was in the body shop business forever and this little tool will help immensely. I stripped a couple restorations with this.

Attachments

• A8E85F8F-6911-4EE0-9799-E2E29E4845DA.jpeg
    A8E85F8F-6911-4EE0-9799-E2E29E4845DA.jpeg
    27.8 KB · Views: 4
With Aircraft stripper. Wear 3M respirator - Aircraft Stripper is extremely effective. Very hazardous to work with - rubber chemical gloves and 3m mask is what I used including eye protection

If you can find someone with a commercial sized soda blaster that might be a viable option for you. Or, perhaps someone with a media blaster.