Painting

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saggyman

Reaction score
Is it possible to paint over the existing paint of a jon boat, like alumnacraft if it's brand new?

I'm not a fan of the olive green color and want to change it, but don't want to sand down a new boat :) Could I clean it and possibly paint over the existing paint?

I recently used that Rust-Oleum Primer/Paint spray paint from Home Depot, covered my boat with 4 cans. Not the best looking paint job but it's holding well so far. I didn't sand anything, just went right over it. Make sure you do it outside and wear a mask, spray paint reeks real good. :p

in MY world, as a retired sign painter, I wouldn't worry about paint peeling off of a
NEW boat. I would just wash it with soap and water to remove any oil and paint it.

Now, there are as many opinions on paint as there are blow flies on a dead cat !!!
Go to your paint store (Lowe's - HD - ACE) and ask them for their opinion.
I myself personally, use the Lowe's VALSPAR 35 year house paint. $14 a quart.
In the past, I have used RustOleum brush on enamel. Some have used the
implement paint from Tractor Supply. (some stores carry only gallons - no quarts).
contrary to popular belief, painting is NOT rocket science !!!
your call

Scuff the paint, self etching primer on any bare spots or a light coat on the whole boat then top coat. I like Rustoleum.

I myself plan on doing a pressure wash, a light sanding, another pressure wash, 2 light coats of self etching primer then roll on a valspar like johnny said.... Not sure of the color yet

Lightly etch with 200 grit sandpaper. Use Self-Etching Primer on any spots that your hit bare metal.

Clean well.

Paint!

Enjoy.

CMOS

I've been a painter for 22 years. And I can't tell you how much stuff I've sanded before applying paint. And not sanded recently. I've never been able to tell sanding it did a blooming thing. It either sticks or it doesn't. In theory sanding should work but I've seen it not far to many times to count.
Wash and paint that sucker! :mrgreen:
Any good alcalde paint in a quart or gallon can, will stick to your boat permanently. That dull coat is going to act like primer.

I wouldn't recommend spray paint of any brand. I've seen it peel far to many times as it gets some age on it to trust it. Peeled off boats too. Granted they may have painted over oxidation. But I don't trust it.
Yours is not oxidized is it?
Rustoium doesn't have enough colorant in the can to satisfie me. So I'd look at industrial enamel or implement paint for a color I liked first.
Just my two cents. :mrgreen:

Insanity said:
I've been a painter for 22 years. And I can't tell you how much stuff I've sanded before applying paint. And not sanded recently. I've never been able to tell sanding it did a blooming thing. It either sticks or it doesn't. In theory sanding should work but I've seen it not far to many times to count.
Wash and paint that sucker! :mrgreen:
Any good alcalde paint in a quart or gallon can, will stick to your boat permanently. That dull coat is going to act like primer.

I wouldn't recommend spray paint of any brand. I've seen it peel far to many times as it gets some age on it to trust it. Peeled off boats too. Granted they may have painted over oxidation. But I don't trust it.
Yours is not oxidized is it?
Rustoium doesn't have enough colorant in the can to satisfie me. So I'd look at industrial enamel or implement paint for a color I liked first.
Just my two cents. :mrgreen:
Horrible advice! I have been a painter for quite some time as well and I can honestly say that aluminum is a different animal than other substrates. Save yourself some wasted money and do it right to begin with. Sand it!!! Preparation is key on aluminum, fact!

Washed it and sprayed it. Not looking to enter any contests at a boat show :p

HXvt4jMl.jpg

gXJWWdDl.jpg

If its a new boat just deal with the color and save the head ache (fish dont care). if it's old and faded, sand and make sure to hit the bare aluminum with self etch primer and go with it.

Did you already have that hydroturf in it or did you add that? If you added it how much did it cost you? Nice jon on the painting.

Ranger J. said:
Did you already have that hydroturf in it or did you add that? If you added it how much did it cost you? Nice jon on the painting.

Thanks bud, I just just put it in last week, I ordered it from Gatortrax, its almost $100 a sheet but I did the casting deck and rear seating area with 2 sheets and I have a little leftover..Shipping is expensive because the box is 5 ft long, was $68 just to ship it. I'm very happy with it, cools down the boat for the hot summers I get up here.