Patching corrosion holes

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sinned

Reaction score
Greetings all-

I need to patch some thru-holes in an aluminum hull that has lapstrake creases in it.

I am dealing with 2 thru-holes and a hole created by corrosion crated by mouse nest / mouse pee combined with a broken box of caustic marine toilet additive. Boat was a barn find, stored for 20 years. Picture attached.

Ther stair step of the laptrake effect is what has me concerned.

After reading threads here, my options seem to be sandwiching it in riveted aluminum plates with penty of 5200 type or JB Weld, or something like West 650 Toughened flexible epoxy and fiberglass.

I am thnking that I would clean, prime/prep and spot the pitting on the inside with JB Weld.

An other thought would be to use a thicker plate and inject the epocy under pressure with a zerx fitting and grease gun like we use for concrete.

Can anyone comment on the long-term performance of what they did for similar repairs to help me make my decisions?

thanks

Dennis

Attachments

• P1030571.JPG
    P1030571.JPG
    173.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I am leaning towards G/Flrext instead of 5200. I have see too many threads that talk about long term problems with 5200 and moisture intrusion.

Latest posts